Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 08:59 PM   #1  
85BJ60
reviving a cub 60

hi,
new member to the forum so excuse me for being clueless, actually new to the world of small engines. i'm in the process of reviving a cub cadet 60, it has a tecumseh V60(6hp). the engine fired up at first taste of fresh fuel and purred with no throttle response. the linkage is halve missing and there is no air filter assembly. i have to hold the choke closed by hand to get her going. now i can't get it started anymore and she spits out the carb when trying to crank her so what gives? this engine has a PTO for my reverse. does the governor arm inside the crankcase just sits above the governor wheel and rises when the wheel rises under centrifugal force? looking at a haynes repair manual, it doesn't specify exactly how the governor is assembled. can anyone share some light on this subject?
thanks,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-18-02, 08:08 PM   #2  
Hello!

It sounds like you've got a proper understanding of the governor operation. I would not suspect problems with the governor just yet though. It sounds like you have carburetor problems. If the throttle shaft is stuck, it won't have throttle response at all. Also, it sounds like your carb neeld valve and seat has begun to leak. Check your saprk plug. If it's soaked with gas then you probably have either a leaking needle and seat, or a fuel-filled float. If it hasn't run in a long time, it is best to clean and rebuild the carb anyway.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

07-18-02, 08:31 PM   #3  
Hello 85BJ60. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

The most likely reason why the engine will not run unless the choke is closed is usually because the carb is gummed up.

As cheese just mentioned, the carb needs to be disassembled, cleaned out and new carb kit parts installed.

Also check the fuel flow into the carb. best way is to disconnect the fuel hose at the carb and check flow. Also note if the is any fuel flow restriction which may be caused by a restricted filter.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic of engine problems in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 08:21 PM   #4  
85BJ60
THANKS

will slap the engine back together and hope for the best. i will replace the square needle and seat for the float and cross my fingers. will get back with the results.
85BJ60

Visiting Guest

07-23-02, 06:37 PM   #5  
85BJ60
back in business!

retried the carb but leaking all over. found another carb with a primer and it runs. the governor is not hooked up but will see how it runs on the machine until i get the original carb rebuilt. thanks for pointing out the fuel system as the problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-23-02, 08:57 PM   #6  
Just a thought on your old carburetor....If it is leaking, there is still a problem with the seat. Did you get the old rubber seat out of the carb before installing the new one? Did you install the new seat right side up? There is a side of the seat that has a ridge all the way around it. That side goes toward the needle. Also, sometimes when removing the old seat, some of it sticks inside the inlet, and has to be cleaned out before installing the new seat. Hope this helps!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-24-02, 05:36 PM   #7  
85BJ60
i put the motor back on the lawnmower and started up but was not running very good(no pep). i removed the fuel shut off valve and ran better. will run longer now but will stall and won't restart after stalling. my hunch is pointing at the coil, figuring when it gets hot it starts to short. is there anything else to check that i overseen? i now got calises on my hands from pulling the stupid cranking rope, i wished whoever has removed the electric start would go to H**L! getting closer to cutting my lawn but still a way to go. help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-24-02, 07:22 PM   #8  
Check for spark at your spark plug when it quits. If you have spark, then squirt a little gas into the spark plug hole, put the plug in, and try to start it. If it starts and runs for a second or two, then dies....you have a fuel problem. If when you check for spark you find none, then you have ignition problems.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-25-02, 09:20 PM   #9  
85BJ60
running hot

what i noticed is the engine gets hot that the fuel in the tank(built on top of engine) starts to boil. the gas wants to come out of the tank. there is a spark when hot but with fuel dripping about is not a safe thing to do. the plug is dry puffy black. when the engine cools down, it starts. when hot, it just doen't want to start. what could make it run hot? all the fins are clean.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-26-02, 07:35 PM   #10  
Wow! I guess it IS getting hot! Make sure the exhaust isn't restricted, check the flywheel key to be sure it hasn't partially sheared. Make sure all the shields around the fins are in place...they act as a shroud to direct the air around the fins. Make sure the flywheel side of the engine has plenty of room to get air through the screen over the flywheel. Running too lean could cause over-heating, but since your plug is black and sooty, it must be running a little rich instead. If you have a strong exhaust smell and a little black smoke, you may be running TOO rich. This could also cause engine overheating if it is to the point that the engine is chugging at wide open throttle, just trying to burn all the fuel in the chamber.

God bless!

Search this Thread