Ignition Switch

Old 07-18-02, 01:11 PM
Squirrel
Visiting Guest
Ignition Switch

i have a Sears Ride mower, it is quite old and I have lost my key for the starter. I want to rewire it with a toggle and a push button. It has four wires. One red and black going from the switch to what I believe is the solenoid and one yellow and black wire from the switch, the yellow going to the engine and the black to a meter on the dash(if you will). Any ideas on how I should do this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-02, 07:31 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
A lot of your ignition switchs have two or three contacts.

Two contacts - on contact is closed only when turned to "Start", the other contact is closed whenever the switch is in the "off" position (one side of this contact will be grounded).

Three contacts - the same as two contact switch, plus the third contact which is closed only whenever the switch is returned to the "On" position.

The contact that closes in the "Start" position, operates the starter solenoid. The contact that closes in the "Off" position, grounds out the ignition coil primary, stopping the engine.

There are probably other arrangements but these two are the only ones that I am familiar with.

Old 07-18-02, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello squirrell!

90% of all lawnmower switches tak the same key. they are available at wal-mart for $0.99.

I can't tell from your description how to wire the switches. One wire you describe sounds like it may be the charging wire, but then again, it may be the ignition kill wire.

Search this Thread