Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

push mower engine on a rider body

Visiting Guest

07-18-02, 10:09 PM   #1  
ghetto_lawn_man
push mower engine on a rider body

I want to know if I can put a push mower engine on a rider body, I want it to move. My friend tried before, but We don't know what was wrong it wouldn't move. If I can put a push mower engine on a rider body do I need a minimum horse power? HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

07-19-02, 05:17 AM   #2  
Well, there'a actuallly no such thing as "push mower engines" and "rider engines" An engine is an engine, the only real difference being whether it is horizontal shaft or vertical shaft.
As long as you can get the shaft rotation transmitted to the input shaft/pulley on the rider transmission, there should be no reason for it not to drive. As for horsepower, I don't think I would try it with anythng less than about 5 hp. Most of the smallest riders have 8 hp or so. Would depend somewhat on other factors like size of the mower deck, how heavy thr grass is that it will be used for, and the terrain.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-19-02, 08:57 PM   #3  
Several problems you will likely run into are: Bolt patterns not matching up, crankshaft diameters and length not matching the pulley, throttle linkage setup, insufficient power, and blade brake and ignition kill switch operation. A 5 HP engine would not be practical on almost any riding mower, if the deck is to be used. 6.5HP is about the largest engine you will find on a push mower, and is still under-powered for most riding mower applications.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

FL

07-21-02, 12:54 PM   #4  
Thanks for the clarification, cheese, I know I was being pretty optimistic. And it would be a huge headache waiting to happen I would suspect.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-21-02, 06:37 PM   #5  
Lol, yeah...there would be all sorts of problems to deal with, but hey....optimism is good!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread