push mower engine on a rider body

Old 07-18-02, 10:09 PM
ghetto_lawn_man
Visiting Guest
Unhappy push mower engine on a rider body

I want to know if I can put a push mower engine on a rider body, I want it to move. My friend tried before, but We don't know what was wrong it wouldn't move. If I can put a push mower engine on a rider body do I need a minimum horse power? HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-02, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Well, there'a actuallly no such thing as "push mower engines" and "rider engines" An engine is an engine, the only real difference being whether it is horizontal shaft or vertical shaft.
As long as you can get the shaft rotation transmitted to the input shaft/pulley on the rider transmission, there should be no reason for it not to drive. As for horsepower, I don't think I would try it with anythng less than about 5 hp. Most of the smallest riders have 8 hp or so. Would depend somewhat on other factors like size of the mower deck, how heavy thr grass is that it will be used for, and the terrain.

Old 07-19-02, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Several problems you will likely run into are: Bolt patterns not matching up, crankshaft diameters and length not matching the pulley, throttle linkage setup, insufficient power, and blade brake and ignition kill switch operation. A 5 HP engine would not be practical on almost any riding mower, if the deck is to be used. 6.5HP is about the largest engine you will find on a push mower, and is still under-powered for most riding mower applications.

Old 07-21-02, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the clarification, cheese, I know I was being pretty optimistic. And it would be a huge headache waiting to happen I would suspect.

Old 07-21-02, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lol, yeah...there would be all sorts of problems to deal with, but hey....optimism is good!