Engine Running Problem

Old 07-22-02, 06:25 PM
mtucker
Visiting Guest
Question engine won't run when hot

I have a Tanaka edger with a 2.5 HP engine and a Walbro carb. It wont stay running when hot. It will idle for a bit, but when I give it gas, it just dies. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Old 07-22-02, 08:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome M. Tucker to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Basically, your looking for a fuel flow problem. I suggest you first try a simply test. Keeping the machine level, fire it up without the fuel cap on and see what happens.

If the engines responds normally, the fuel caps vent hole is restricted or plugged. If the machine continues to display the same difficulties, check for any type of fuel restriction between the inside of the tank and the carb.

Another possibility could be a fuel restriction within the carbs fuel flow system. Could be one or more of the fuel ports within the carb may be clogged or restricted.

Yet another possibility could be a muffler or spark arrester restricted with carbon.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Suggestions:
Read the product manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail lawn mower and or small engine repair shops. Dealers and repair shops are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers with you if you stop in at the store.

Check the archives, within this forum, for other postings and replies on this topic.

Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostic Service and Repair Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: