2 Cycle Carb Question

Old 07-22-02, 04:15 PM
ryobi won't start....

i have a ryobi 725RE trimmer, the one that can take different attachments. last week, while doing the hedges, i noticed that the trimmer did not idle, almost as if the throttle was stuck open a little, so it idled "fast". i did not pay much attention to it. today, it did the same, while doing the edging and using the trimmer. i then noticed the idle set screw, and tried adjusting it. it would start to run, and then once i let go of the throttle, it would slowly die, almost like it ran out of gas. about two months ago, i changed the plug and cleaned the air filter.

i noticed also that the gas can lid was broken, and "open" . could water have formed in the gas? should i change out the gas/oil mixture? i don't exactly have the money to buy a new one. so it'll be a doityourself job. any suggestions?

thanks,
mitch.

update:

i went and got new gas mixture, and some carb cleaner. now it'll run, but it dies if i let go of the throttle. and it only seems to run after i spray some carb cleaner on the carb. i ran it full throttle, no choke, and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb to try and clean it out. it sputter s little and throttles back up. but about 3 seconds after i let go of the throttle, it dies. do i need a carb rebuild? if so, is there a place with steps that i can follow. how much would a place charge for that? is it worth it?

thanks.

Last edited by mitcheal; 07-22-02 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-02, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Mitch. Welcome to our Small Engine forum.

The carb is gummed up. Regardless of what got into the fuel or what evaporated out of the fuel, it's most likely gummed up. Check/clean the inside of the fuel tank also.
Check/replace, if needed, the fuel filter.
Check the fuel flow rate out of the fuel hose at the carb end.

Remove the carb and disassemble it carefully. Clear out all the tiny fuel passages, including where the adjsutment screws are.

Note how many turns IN it takes to lightly bottom out both screws. After cleaning the carb, installing new carb kit parts, reinsert the screws and back them OUT to the orginal settings.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this topic in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this topic.

Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.