Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 06:25 PM   #1  
mtucker
engine won't run when hot

I have a Tanaka edger with a 2.5 HP engine and a Walbro carb. It wont stay running when hot. It will idle for a bit, but when I give it gas, it just dies. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

07-22-02, 08:03 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome M. Tucker to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Basically, your looking for a fuel flow problem. I suggest you first try a simply test. Keeping the machine level, fire it up without the fuel cap on and see what happens.

If the engines responds normally, the fuel caps vent hole is restricted or plugged. If the machine continues to display the same difficulties, check for any type of fuel restriction between the inside of the tank and the carb.

Another possibility could be a fuel restriction within the carbs fuel flow system. Could be one or more of the fuel ports within the carb may be clogged or restricted.

Yet another possibility could be a muffler or spark arrester restricted with carbon.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times for additional replies.

Suggestions:
Read the product manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail lawn mower and or small engine repair shops. Dealers and repair shops are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers with you if you stop in at the store.

Check the archives, within this forum, for other postings and replies on this topic.

Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostic Service and Repair Technician.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread