Enamel on Woodwork Is it possible?

Old 07-25-02, 08:22 PM
donhleo
Visiting Guest
Enamel on Woodwork Is it possible?

Have a home with dark brown stained woodwork. Have tried everything I can think of to change the appearance to a smooth white enamel. Have stripped, sanded and Used Kilz for a primer (2 coats) . Trying for a latex cover. Nothing works. When I put the primer coat on, the wood goes back to showing the grain. It won't come out smooth. Am I trying to do the impossible, or is their a way to get a smooth enamel like finish on 25 year old trim. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-26-02, 08:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
as far as the grain goes the only thing you can do is sand until it is smooth.technology in milling has improved in 25 years,so new wood is very smooth.as in my home the wood is over 25 years old and has ridges and does appear to be roughly cut.sanding the trim to smooth is a daunting task by hand especially if it has a lot of detail to it. all i can recommend is applying the primer and paint to help.if i came in your home to do this i would..1..sand all wood with 150 grit to scuff surface for good bond.shop vac and wipe down with paint thinner ..2..prime with oil base primer,thin it a little with paint thinner,it helps it flow out and avoid brush marks.let dry..3.. sand with 220 grit,shop vac, apply second coat of primer,let dry..4..sand with 220 grit,vac it, apply a coat of oil base paint with a product called Penatrol added to it this will help paint flow out and avoid brush marks*highly advised*,recommend Benjamin Moore satin impervo for the paint..5.. do step 4 one or two more times until wood covers well....ps..use a white china brush for the oil primer and oil paint,if you must use latex on the wood use a chinex/polyester brush and put Floetrol in paint it does same thing as penatrol but for latex paints.

Old 07-28-02, 09:28 AM
donhleo
Visiting Guest
Thanks reelski. I'll try your system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: