Color Too Dark

Old 07-29-02, 01:27 AM
lrainbolt
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Color Too Dark

We purchased a model home 1 1/2 years ago and recently had to retouch the walls in one of the bedrooms. We went to the paint store and got the same make and color paint the decorators had used, however, the color does not match. We ended up having to repaint the entire room but it is too dark of a green. I do not understand why the same color is so different after only 2 years. Any ideas as to why this is or how I can lighten the color that I just applied to my walls? The guy at the paint store said dark colors fade after time, however, I would like to know how much time?? Any information you have would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 07:09 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello lrainbolt, keep in mind that I am not there have no way of knowing what really happened but here are some thoughts....if the existing paint was flat and the new paint has any sheen like an eggshell etc. it will appear darker, there may have been a mixing base change at this paint company (like SW is going through now) that could throw colors off, you ended up with with the wrong color or it was just mis-mixed. It does sound like your new paint is way off of the original and without some of the factors mentioned above happening it should have been a bit closer. I doubt paint mixed a year or more later would touch up under the best conditions. From my experience paint tends to darken inside as it ages rather that fade. I don't know if its an option but you may consider sponging a slightly lighter color over what you have now to brighten the room and other than that a repaint :-{ would be about your only option....Mike

Old 07-29-02, 09:29 AM
lrainbolt
Visiting Guest
Paint Too Dark

Thanks for the information Mike. Is there anything the walls can be washed with that may lighten the paint, or can I add white paint to the color and repaint for hopefully a lighter shade?

Old 07-29-02, 08:19 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Other than some kind of faux finish I know of nothing that will lighten the paint. You can mix some paint of a lighter color with what you have and repaint.....Mike

Old 07-29-02, 09:16 PM
lrainbolt
Visiting Guest
Color Too Dark

Thanks Mike. I'll look into that.