painted table with wrong paint?

Old 07-31-02, 02:58 PM
tknight
Visiting Guest
painted table with wrong paint?

I painted our dining room table a cream color by sanding and spraying on a latex based satin enamel. It looks great but scratches easily and the paint can be peeled like rubber where you can get underneath it. Can I apply a polyurethane to protect it, or do I need to start over with some sort of oil-based paint? Please advise.

Old 08-02-02, 08:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You'll just compound your error adding poly over what you have - it won't hold.

Strip the table, PRIME, then paint. Use a semigloss enamel (it's more durable and easier to clean than flat paint). I prefer oil.

Old 08-05-02, 08:36 PM
Kel
Visiting Guest
In addition to what George said, use a GOOD primer! I prefer Zinsser B-I-N primer for the tough jobs, it has an adhesive and really sticks. For best results on these tough jobs I let it cure for a week before painting.

Old 08-13-02, 05:02 AM
cusingeorge
Visiting Guest
If you want your table to look half way decent, don't paint a table with a latex enamel or any other paint for that matter. They are not designed for the kind of abuse tables get from plates scooting across them, coffee mug rings and the like.

If you really want the table white (or whatever color you are looking for) my suggestion is to look at a brushable lacquer or polyurethane. If you have a paint store (not Wal Mart, Lowes or Home Depot) close to you, check with them and see if they are able to take a clear lacquer or poly and tint it to the color you are wanting. Be sure and ask them if they have industrial colorant for this purpose, not universal (used in latex paints). Universals are not compatible and will make the finish gummy. If they don't understand the question or do not have industrial colorants, find somewhere else to buy your finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: