Cutting-in Ceiling Line Tips?

Old 08-06-02, 07:39 AM
fennchl
Visiting Guest
Cutting-in Ceiling Line Tips?

Does anyone have any great tips for cutting in at the ceiling line? I have tried brushes and roller pads and taping and can't seem to get it straight or right. Any 'home grown' tips for doing this well?

Old 08-06-02, 04:05 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting in at ceiling

A slanted brush and a steady hand produce the best results.

Old 08-07-02, 07:07 AM
MP99
Visiting Guest
I bought a paint edger (I think Shur-line is the brand) at Home Depot and it worked great on ceilings, doors, trims, etc. There are "wheels" on the edge and a pad which you can buy refills, too. Just make sure not to get any paint on the wheels, otherwise you would get paint on the ceiling. Also you might want to trim the brushes at the edge to make sure there are no stray brushes that could put paint on the ceiling. Good luck!

Old 08-07-02, 07:23 AM
SB
i learned a secret from the guy who painted my house...it is similar to what 12pole said. he uses the "cheap" brushes, the 3" ones with the unfinished wood handles...they are usually like $.99 at HD. anywho, when you dip em in your paint, the bristles are almost razor like...your can make a very thin, very straight line...and it takes an hour off your job because you dont have to tape anything.

Old 08-07-02, 05:29 PM
T
Cutting in

I never use tape because I have been painting since I was a kid. But, I highly recommend it if you feel you need protection. A slanted brush is very helpful.

Old 08-08-02, 06:15 AM
K
I use the trim roller that was previously stated.

It works very good, don't apply too much pressure, it will make it ooze out.

I use a paint brush to apply the paint to the pad and always roll the wheels , and the top of the pad on the wall before starting to cut in in case paint is on the wheels.

It is fast and covers enough wall area, so you don't have worry about hitting the roller on the ceiling when painting the field.

Old 08-08-02, 09:21 AM
B
use the brush tips and knock off excess paint

Use a high quality brush.

Paint with the tips, not the sides of the brush. This sounds obvious, but too many h/o put too much angle and too much pressure on the brush and so end up painting with the sides.

Dip the brush in only about 1/4 inch or so. Then tap the bristles against the inside of the pail to remove excess paint.

Do a light quick stroke to remove even more paint, otherwise you'll get globs on the tips.

Finally lay the tips of the brush on the edge and paint lightly and quickly. Going too slow will cause an unsteady hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: