Painting toggle switch and recepticle

Old 08-16-02, 03:26 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Question Painting toggle switch and recepticle

Hello. There was a question asked by Gayl about painting switch plates and recepticle plates. The answers were very helpful. What about the toggles and recepticles? Can they be painted with out electrocuting yourself? I don't like the idea of having plates that match my walls, but the toggles and switches are off-white. Thanks. This is a great forum. Maureen

Old 08-16-02, 07:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend painting switches and receptacles. Wet paint and electricity don't mix. Anyways, the paint would wear off from normal use. It would be better to replace the switches with the correct color.

Old 08-16-02, 09:24 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Correct color

Hello again Rich,

You're up late!! Thanks for your second answer. The problem with the correct color is that I wanted to match the color of my walls and receptacles (I can't spell) and toggles and plates only come in so many colors. Any other suggestions?

Maureen

Old 08-18-02, 08:03 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A couple of options...... go ahead and paint the wall plates as previously posted, but leave the outlet and switch unpainted.

If you are intent on painting the switch and outlet, first turn off the power at the fuse panel. Test the both locations for power, then clean with a dry rag. Using an artists brush (cheap small brush) dab some of the colored paint onto the switch and outlet. Try not to get the paint inside the slots. Do a second coat if needed. Wait 'till their dry, then turn the power back on.

Old 08-19-02, 09:27 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Thanks RichD

RichD Many Thanks,

I suppose I should be able to find new receptacle/switches/plates that perhaps contrast with the paint. Maybe I can get the manager to have someone come in and rewire everything. There are only three receptacles and on switch in the living room, not counting the A/C receptacle.

What does Martha Stewart do? Sell?

Thanks again.

Maureen

Old 08-20-02, 05:41 AM
Claudia OLeary
Visiting Guest
You may not need to paint them at all. Try covering them in colored paper or contact paper in the same color as wall color. Cut paper about 1/2 inch larger around than the plate. Use spray adhesive to apply to plate and fold excess behind plate. For the hole for switch, turn plate over to the side you won't see when installed and, with an X-acto knife, carefully cut diagonally from one corner to the oposite corner and repeat to form an X in the middle of the hole. Then fold back for a custom fit. I have done this with wallpaper with great results and lots of compliments.

Old 08-20-02, 06:14 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Smile wallpaper/contact paper coverings

Claudia,

Thanks for the idea. I like it and may use that idea in my kitchen if I ever get to that room.

I purchased this very odd color of paint called Chelsea Fog. I like it, but I don't know who else would purchase it. I will have a tough time matching plates to this.

I have a gloss white for the trim, but now feel that maybe I should go with a darker shade of grey. I should just quit thinking about it and do it, this isn't my house. If I use gloss white, I can use white plates with no problem.

I take it you have redecorated rooms, i.e., painted them. I have vacuumed all the walls as with all my pets they were pretty fuzzy (maybe I could invent a new type of wall covering--matted!!). Now I have to figure out how to wash them. Someone else on this forum suggested something to wash them with, but it required rinsing. Ugh. What do you use?

I've also just realized (as if I hadn't lived here for seven years) that the walls were probably sprayed with that sandpaper looking "stuff". Short of sanding it all down, I have no idea what to do. No rough walls would certainly cut down on having to vacuum walls once a week.

Thanks again.

Maureen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: