Please someone answer...?about painting over a finished dresser

Old 08-24-02, 01:43 PM
dg39
Visiting Guest
Smile Please someone answer...?about painting over a finished dresser

Hi, I need help. I have a finished medium dark wood dresser. I want to put it in my daughters room. Her furnature is white. Is there any way I can paint over this with white paint and make it look good. I haven't a clue as to what to do. Can someone tell me step by step what this involves. I don't want to take the old surface away, thats tooo much work, I just want to paint it white and have a semi-gloss finish. If this can be done, would I be able to stencil on it also. Thanks so much for helping me.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-02, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
to do right and last will take some work..

Depends on the furniture. Some pieces (cheap furniture) have a surface that isn't much more than contact paper. In this case just apply a good primer (BIN, Kilz, Benjamin Moore, Pratt&Lambert). Then top coat.

If its a quality piece, look in the yellow pages (furniture strippers) or ask around for someone that will strip the old finish off. Then prime and paint. Its quality furniture so do a quality job.

If its something in the middle, you still need to remove the protective top coat. Sanding works well or use a deglosser (liquid sandpaper). Then prime and paint.

Notice that in all cases I sugeest a primer. Primers create a better bond between the furniture and the paint.

Old 08-27-02, 05:48 PM
marycontrary
Visiting Guest
i agree with Bob,,, if you want to know what type of furniture,, dig a nail into a corner,, if the edge comes out,, you know what you have,, then its the primer. This has worked for me in the past.