suggestions for painting wood railings and spindles in entry way.

Old 08-30-02, 07:12 PM
Stanley Kustron
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb suggestions for painting wood railings and spindles in entry way.

we built our home 25 years ago and had all the woodwork stained a dark finish. We are now painting all the woodwork white. However, we are having a problem in deciding what to do with the wood banister and the large 8 ft. spindles that are seen as you come in the entry way. We have a split level home. so as you come in the small entry way, the banister is to the left and the large spindles extend from the ceiling to the floor in the living room, which are seen as you enter the front door. There is a piece of woodwork at the top and bottom of the spindles. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we should paint this in order that it would now look good with the new white baseboards and doors? Also, should we paint the inside of the front door white to match the woodwork, or leave it the dark stained varnish?

Last edited by Stanley Kustron; 08-31-02 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-31-02, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm going to move this to the painting forum. You will probably get a better response.

Thanx

Old 09-02-02, 06:49 AM
AmericanPainter
Visiting Guest
Spray with oil pro block (SW) or comparable oil blocking primer (2 coats), and spray with oil or latex finish. Do not brush as it will steal your time from you.

Old 09-07-02, 07:48 AM
Stanley Kustron
Visiting Guest
reply to american painter

Thanks for the suggestion american painter, but these railings and spindles may be difficult to spray with a paint because I am not the greatest painter in the world to say the least! Any other suggestions you may have? I was thinking that I may leave the spindles the dark stain, and just paint the handrail and bottom of the banister white, and leave the 8' spindles on the right that are in the living room, also the dark stain and paint the top and bottom boards of these white. What do you think?

Stan

Old 09-07-02, 06:24 PM
AmericanPainter
Visiting Guest
Stan. Been there, done that. Ended up painting them like they are supposed to. All white. Consistency is key here. Usually the handrail is left stained or polyurethaned. According to most, dark stain is passe. We are getting more and more requests to convert peoples trim. You might as well do it once and right. You have to tape everything off completely becasue of overspray. See if the local rental centers rent HVLP machines. Those work great for spindles and stairs. You can brush everything else. Or you can buy a cheap HVLP gun for 35.00 and rent a compressor and hose. Trust me, you will be able to do this. It is like spray painting with a can. It gives and awesome finish too. This is how us so called pros do it. Fast and easy. They only draw back is taping off everything which takes more time than painting. While your at it you can spray those risers too.

Stiairs are a serious tedious task but very rewarding in the end. Good luck.

Old 09-09-02, 02:45 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use a "radiator" roller for spindles and lay off with a brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: