What is the test for oil based paint?

Old 09-03-02, 01:32 PM
RenoAndrea
Visiting Guest
What is the test for oil based paint?

We are painting the bedroom walls of our recently renovated house. Some of the walls are the previous existing walls. We don't know what the old paint is. What is the little trick/test to see what kind of paint it is? What do I do if it's oil and I want to use latex?

Such a painting idiot! Please help!

Old 09-04-02, 03:01 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello RenoAndrea, to identify latex paint apply rubbing alcohol to a rag and rub a few seconds. Latex will begin to break down and get somewhat rubbery like an erasure with some lifting onto the rag and oil paint will not be affected by alcohol.
Two ways to deal with oil that you want to paint with latex and I like to begin both methods by cleaning if needed and then sanding quickly and lightly with 220 grit sandpaper. Wipe clean with damp cloth. At this point a HIGH quality 100% latex primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ II or KILZ Total One can be used if no bleeding of knots etc. is suspected. The latex primers are bonding primers not stain killers. An oil primer can also be used and is prefered by most painters and examples are Zinsser BIN (really alcohol based but fine stuff), KILZ Original or any good quality interior oil based primer. The oil primers I have listed are all very fast drieing but some house brands work well but cure fairly slowly......Mike

Old 09-06-02, 06:47 AM
RenoAndrea
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike!

Another quick painting question. We have stained cedar in our living room that I would like to paint to match our birch cupboards in the kitchen. What kind of prep will I need to do to paint over this stained wood?

Old 09-07-02, 08:20 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
A good interior oil based primer like KILZ Original would be a good choice as would Zinsser BIN. This could be followed by paint of your choice.....Mike

Old 09-17-02, 05:30 AM
fireguy42420
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Testing for type of paint

I have found that you should wash the surface first with a detergent based solution before applying denatured alcohol with a rag to test for oil or latex paint. You need to remove any chalkiness on the surface, if not, the chalkiness will come off on the rag and you may think it is latex although it will be oil based paint. Duh! Sometimes you have to find out the hard way, lol. fireguy42420

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: