Behr Sandwash Paint

Old 09-18-02, 10:15 AM
Huck344
Visiting Guest
Angry Behr Sandwash Paint

I am painting my living room with Behr Sandwash Paint. I've followed the directions exactly as explained on the paint can AND the Behr website (both are different). I can't seem to do it without lap marks. Does anyone have any experience with this type of textured paint? The paint is $30/gal, so I don't want to keep doing it if I can't get it right. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-02, 07:50 AM
coach8
Visiting Guest
I too had the same problems, I had Home Depot contact the rep, and he worked with me on it, where I finally bought reg matte finish and put two coats of that over the 4 coats of sandwash, and it looks good, not great but compared to where I was.

Old 11-06-02, 12:28 PM
swt
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I just made a posting about the same paint.

I also noticed that the can and website give different directions.
I also received 2 other sets of instructions from the Home Depot people, who said that they were instructed by the Berh representative.

Did you ever find a way to make this product work ??

I am getting completly fed-up with it and Berh in general.
(they have not replied to my requests for help)

Why do they bother to market this product when it will only gain them hatred in the marketplace ?

Old 11-07-02, 09:26 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Somehow Behr was rated highly in Consumer Reports recently. This is odd since no one that is familiar with quality paint uses it. Because Benjamin Moore was redeveloping their line, it was not accurately represented in the ratings. I have never had a problem with Benjamin Moore paint.

Old 11-10-02, 10:35 AM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

The Behr sandwash and Ralph Lauren RiverRock paints are just NOT worth it. I only hope that I can get my money back....

Janis

Old 11-10-02, 12:45 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Helpful Hint: Any color sample, including one of the expensive Ralph Lauren colors, can be matched by the computer system and mixed in Benjamin Moore paint.

Old 11-12-02, 04:51 AM
swt
Visiting Guest
Well I contacted Berh again and explained to a live person what was happening.

She asked me not to give up on the product.
She asked me to pick up 3 more cans and send the receipt to them with my file number. ( she assigned one )

She said that they will reimburse me.

She suggested that instead of rolling the product on that I sponge it on.

I will post back with the results once I have time to try this.

Old 11-18-02, 02:59 PM
J
jfm
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb sand texture paints

I have used a different brand (McKlosky)of sand textured paint & found that you have to work quick, keep it stirred & KEEP A WET EDGE. Other than having trouble getting the paint to match it's color swatch, I didn't have too much trouble getting it to go on.

Old 11-18-02, 08:57 PM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
Ending the River Rock fiasco

Glad to hear that you managed to get this to work. I tried just about every single recommendation provided (esp. wet wet edge) ...but with a full time job & part time master's degree on the go, I had to bail on this....

3rd coat on one wall was looking better re: lap marks but I couldn't justify trying a 4th with the risk that it STILL wouldn't look good...and then still having to paint over it with 2 MORE coats (for a total of 8 including primer!)...so I quit and just painted over everything with 2 coats of matte in the same IBM-blue colour.

It looks great now and you can still see some of the texture but there are no more lap marks.

Still going to go to Home Depot and/or Ralph Lauren to try to get my $200+ back.

I hate to quit but sometimes it's just not worth the gamble!

I'd advise anyone thinking of doing this to:
a) do only a SMALL room (mine was 12' x 18')
b) use a light light colour as I've heard sandy/beige works a lot better
c) seriously reconsider!

Janis

Old 08-19-04, 06:53 PM
CHUY90650
Visiting Guest
Sandwash

I have Sandwash in my room. The color is RIVERBED. I really like the finish. The application of the paint is much different than paint. If it took 1 ga. to paint the room, it will take 2 ga. for one coat of this paint. In addition, it is a 2 coat process. I charge $5 a sq. ft. because its a totally different ballgame compared to paint. The 2x2 foot squares ceiling to floor has to be followed. To make this work here is what needs to be done: Tools- 3/4 inch nap roller, I like to roll out of a 5 ga. have a paint grid that falls into the bucket. You can add paint conditioner too 4 oz per gallon. You are going to work in 2x2 ft. squares. Dip the rolller and give it 2 strokes on the paint grid to remove teh excess paint of the roller. Fill in a 2x2 ft. square. Re-dip the roller and fill in another square right underneath the previous square. Remember, you have to give it a couple of stokes on the paint grid to remove excess paint each time, I don't want to sound like a broken record. Re-dip the roller and give it a couple of strokes in the paint grid and fill in the square. If the walls are 8 ft high, simple math, you need 4 squares. Once the column ceiling to floor is covered you have to back roll. You redip the roller and give it a couple of strokes on the paint grid and let the roller glide ceiling to floor in the 2x8 ft. column. Next, begin another section right next to the one you have started. Follow the same application technique. If you noticed you missed a spot once you are done with the wall. LET IT GO. Remember, it is not like paint, if needed touch up when the paint dries. 9 times out of 10 you have to apply another coat. This is why I charge $5 a sq. ft. For example a 10x10 room 8 ft high walls is 320 sq ft with means you need 2 ga for one coat, whcih means you need 4 ga. of paint for a two coat process.

Hope this helps,
Chuy90650

Old 10-31-04, 12:49 PM
rr2004
Visiting Guest
i've read a lot of complaints and guess what? its just a bunch of complainers. the fact is if you put down a base that is similar to the color and most importantly USE A PAINT CONDITIONER you will not have any problems. the paint conditioner makes the sandwash dry SLOWER, so you don't have streaks or discoloration. why doesn't behr tell you to use a PAINT CONDITIONER? that's a very good question. maybe because it allows you to use less paint and makes them less money -- not sure, but if you use a PAINT CONDITIONER (i used a product called flo-trene from home depot) you won't have streaks, etc. i did a 12x14 room with a window and closet and it took 3 gallons total. i put three coats. the first day i did one coat, waited about four hours, did a second coat, then next day put on one more coat. i did not follow the directions and i did not cut out 2x2 areas, i just laid it on with a 1" lambswool roller. it has a wild finished look to it. hopefully those that have heard horror stories will get a chance to read this about using a PAINT CONDITIONER and they will find success. please pass this on so the freaks that lash out instead of helping are finally quieted. i had to weed through all your crying to find the answer when i was looking. but i ended up finding the answer and it worked like a charm.

Old 10-31-04, 06:47 PM
J
joneq reccomends Floetrol by the flood company whenever you paint ANYTHING with latex based paint. Better not to find out you need it after the job looks like you know what. It is inexpensive and keeps the wet edge while not changing the color of the paint.Never heard of flo-trene though.

Old 03-23-08, 01:23 PM
R
I just purchased the Behr Sandwash foundation and paint - we followed the directions and yes, we too, had lap marks. So, I simply used the foundation paint and painted over the dryed sandwash paint - worked GREAT! We still have texture and NO lap marks; in fact, I recommend Behr reconsider their instructions - this way you can simply paint on the Sandwash however thick / thin you wish - no need to work fast, or keep paint wet; simply roll it on the walls (we still rolled it on fairly thick since we were following the instructions). Wait for it all to dry; then paint over it with your foundation color once again - all is well now.

Old 08-24-08, 02:43 PM
G
Angry behr sandwash

Well this product sucks

After listenijng to the home depot lady and watching there video I though this would be an easy application

this product is crap. I would never recommend this to anyone.
the only good advise was to paint over it with the base coat.
I tried in vain to achive the manufactures results. not even close to the results i was told I would expect. I wasted $200 bucks on an product professionals would have difficulty in applying. I have done other textures from Ralph Lauren and they came out perfect.

save your money and don't buy this product.

I did learn something from this experiance. check the net to see if others have tried the product. buyer beware.

Old 08-24-08, 07:37 PM
P
I have found that multiple coats assure better results. I typically two-coat EVERYTHING that I paint (12 yrs experience) and this product is one of them. To avoid "flashing" (the visual difference between the areas that have been brushed and the areas that have been rolled) I often tape ALL of the edges - even the ceiling. This is one of the only times that I would even consider this type of preparation. Then use a mini or "whiz" roller along the ceiling, corners, and trim, and follow immediately with a regular roller. Don't do more than one wall at a time. If you fear that your tape along the ceiling will bleed, then - if available, paint the tape seam first with the ceiling paint to fill in any tiny tape gaps. After this dries then you are ready for this tricky product. If your walls are painted with a flat paint, you may want to prime the surface to avoid excessive lapping that occurs when the paint's moisture is absorbed instead of evaporated. It can be done, and for the cost of this Sandwash paint, a little more prep and cost could assure you a finished job that matches your investment.

Old 08-25-08, 08:35 AM
G
Angry Sandwash

Dear paintflake

you must be kidding. Have you really tried this product? If you have then you would know its a 2 step process.

1) use the manufactures step 1 foundation coat (primer)

2) use step 2 sand finish as per manufacture ( 2 feet X 2 feet) two coats

preperation by taping has nothing to do with the the lapping problem or doing one wall at a tiime. I read one person tried 4 coats and still the wall looked like crap.

don't forget about the stress my wife has now that she did not get the results she wanted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: