Painting after removing wall paper

Old 09-18-02, 05:36 PM
mudlover
Visiting Guest
Question Painting after removing wall paper

I just finished removing the last of the wall paper in a powder room and would like to paint the walls. The walls are drywall and were painted prior to being papered. There seems to still be glue residue on the walls.

What do I need to do to prep/seal the walls prior to painting them?

Thank you.

Old 09-19-02, 06:14 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To quote from my website:

"If you plan on painting the area you just stripped, you must ensure that all the glue behind the backing is removed. To tell if there is still glue remaining, wet the wall and feel it. Any slimy areas mean there is glue left over. To remove any remaining glue, mix 2 tablespoons of liquid fabric softener into a gallon of water and scrub. You must also carefully rinse the entire wall surface so there are no traces of paste or wallpaper stripper remaining behind, before you paint."

Priming is always recommended by painting pros, so I will echo their advice even though I am not a painter.

Old 09-20-02, 06:09 AM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Yep, remove all the glue otherwise you'll have problems down the road. Priming is also a good idea, just make sure you use an interior oil based primer on the walls. A water based product will reactivate any remaining glue causing problems with your paint. An oil based primer will seal in any remaining glue - hopefully you won't have any.

Old 09-20-02, 06:36 AM
mudlover
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all your tips. I think I have now removed all traces of glue. What a job. My arms are killing me today. I will also use an oil based primer to seal the walls. This is something I would not have done. I would have used a water based product

Old 09-21-02, 03:21 PM
roccodawg
Visiting Guest
Talking I wish I knew!!

Very nice to know that now. Where the heck were you guys last week. I did exactly the same thing, but the wallpaper was over 23 year old original drywall with no paint. The Home Depot guy talked me out of buying the oil based Kilz and instead using water based Bear P.A.V. drywall sealing primer. He said it was better for unpainted drywall but didn't consider the slight residue of wallpaper adhesive that remained. Then, I painted. Is my wall going to start peeling now or something?

Old 09-21-02, 03:41 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Well, what he recommended IS better for unpainted drywall unless you are accidently painting over glue. I would just keep an eye on it and if you start to notice rough patchy areas - the painting equivalent of exzema - then you'll have to sand those areas and prime with an oil base primer.

Old 09-21-02, 03:46 PM
roccodawg
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Good to know. Thanks. I assume you mean just sand the patchy areas themselves and prime that spot, right?

Old 09-21-02, 06:26 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Yes to just the problem areas.

Old 09-22-02, 05:15 AM
aceshigh417
Visiting Guest
Hi. I just posted this in another forum and was wondering if anyone has some good info for me... Thanks.

We are about to paint our Den in a house we purchased last month. The problem is, the paint is cracking badly. I was told to sand it with 220 grit and that took alot of the flakes off (but not all). Upon sanding we found a brown layer underneath the white paint. At first we werent sure if this was old paint or not, but we found some brown that didnt come off with the paint and it looks like wallpaper glue that wasnt taken down by the previous owners. Im sure they knew that if they tried to take down the glue it would ruin their walls so they probably just painted over it and hoped for the best. Ofcourse, now i have inherited their issue. We were told that after sanding to use primer and then 2 coats (we are going to use Benjamin Moore Arizona Tan) but my gut feeling is this will keep cracking and I'll waste my time and $$ on paint. Has anyone seen this senario and does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of skim coating but its not something I have time for right now.... Open to all ideas...

Thanks

Old 09-22-02, 03:22 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aceshigh417,

I am not a painting expert, but this type of question is one of the gray areas, where wallpaper and painting types do have experience. Here is how I would handle it. Sand the entire wall surface as smooth as you can get it. Then apply a Drywall Repair, Clear to the surface. A DRC is a new type of primer that will penetrate and firm up all the old garbage that is on your wall. You should use one of the following brands and NO OTHERS:

1. Scotch Paint's Draw-Tite
2. Zinsser's Gardz
3. Sherwin Williams' PrepRite 200 or 400
4. Seal-Krete's waterproofing sealer
5. Roman's Liquid Drywall

I also ranked them in order I would use. Draw-Tite may be harder to find and slightly more costly. Gardz could be a problem as well, but SW's PrepRite can be found at any SW. You can find Internet links to all these manufacturers on my site at:

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/pro.html#4

After the application of the DRC, you may still want to apply a traditional primer to aid the smoothing and leveling of the wall surface. DRCs are a new cat and don't have the same leveling abilities as a traditional paint primer. Careful attention to patching and smoothing with joint compound prior to the application of the DRC may prevent the two-coat primer step though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: