Caulk and Paint

Old 09-20-02, 08:23 PM
jattor
Visiting Guest
Caulk and Paint

I started to paint the outside of my house. I have clap boards on the top half of the house and stucco on the bottom half. I started to sand the boards and was caulking the gaps...but I came across a gap that was 3/4 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep. How do I caulk the large gap? Would appreciate any help

Old 09-20-02, 08:50 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
One possible solution with a gap that large is to purchase dow rods and caulk them in using multiple applications of caulk. They essentially serve the same purpose that rebarb (those metal rods) does in concrete. The larger the gap the more likely that your caulk will crack - and it will crack fairly soon with that size gap. The wood dow rod essentially narrows the gap. There also used to be a rope like material for this purpose but I forgot what it was called. Perhaps someone else remembers.

Old 09-21-02, 05:20 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
You may also try to draw the boards in with drywall type screws. If you do this do prime the screws with oil primer to prevent rust...Mike

Old 09-21-02, 07:01 AM
jattor
Visiting Guest
caulk and paint

Originally posted by mikejmerritt
You may also try to draw the boards in with drywall type screws. If you do this do prime the screws with oil primer to prevent rust...Mike
Reply: The house is 60 years old..There is no way those two boards are coming together.Can the caulk be put on in layers and dried and layer upon layer. The caulk that was there before I cleaned it out ....was there for 15 years..and the caulk was hard as rock to take out.
Thanks...for a reply.

Old 09-21-02, 08:34 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello jattor, gotcha on the petrified boards, my home is also that age. You can layer the caulk and TomBT's idea to glue a wooden dowel rod in is a very good way to save some caulk and speed the process up a bit....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: