Can I paint kitchen appliances?

Old 09-23-02, 03:55 PM
utee94
Visiting Guest
Can I paint kitchen appliances?

I am about to remodel my kitchen, and I would like to paint my almond colored dishwasher, oven/range, and vent hood a different color-- maybe some kind of metallic silver to mimic stainless steel.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to go about this? Is it even possible, or will it look bad and/or hold up poorly?

The appliances are from the mid 80s and currently have their original, basic, almond-colored enamel on them.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-02, 06:06 PM
You are lucky they are almond! I had to deal with "harvest gold", a popular color in the '80s. It would be near impossible for you to duplicate the original finish. The appliances are coated in a baked-on enamel or epoxy finish. Anything you brush or spray on would eventually chip,scratch, or generally look bad.

Check your Yellow Pages for a professional appliance refinisher. You may find that the paint price exceeds the value of a 20ish year old appliance...... I eventually bought all new appliances (almond by the way!)

Old 09-24-02, 12:49 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
First I would like to say that RichD is 100% correct in his advice. If a person refinishes appliances without a baked on finish there is no way that they can hold up like factory finish. This is really out of the question because money for this would put you very close to new stuff. This leads me to the person that wants to update, can't get new at this time and the existing is working very well. If the color of your appliances is holding you back from that remodel and you don't expect a DIY finish to last forever, just perform reasonably, I can help. One thing I can't advise is to attempt to refinish a stove. Stove tops can be done but expect to have to redo in 2-4 years to keep it looking fine. Conditions on a stove top are just to extreme to expect a DIY repaint to last any amount of time. Its very late here so what I am going to do is paste a copy of some directions I gave some time back on refridgerator painting could be applied to dishwashers, compactors, vent hoods etc. My fridge is done with this method (avocado to almond) and I have teens with friends (catch my drift?) and there is not one scratch that shows green in five years. I have pasted this diatribe in a few replies here and have had many emails that they have gotten fantastic results and should have done it years ago. Apply these methods to the appliances in question although if no fridge is done obviuosly some of the steps may not be needed. Here it is.........Many will tell you that appliances must be painted in a filtered down draft booth at a body shop. This would be great but unless someone has a SubZero or top of the line Kitchen Aid the costs would hardly work out. The best way to do it at home would be to follow the prep steps below but use a conventional (air and a spray gun) rig. Since most don't have this stuff I'll tell you how I do mine and I do have all of this stuff to use. First, you do want to unplug and unload the fridge because as you keep the door open for a while working the inner lips and edges the condensation will cause tape to let go and of course water and spray paint don't mix. You also want all to dry over night with the door propped open to prevent sticking and damage to the gasket. Wipe everything down with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and let dry. Sand with 220 grit sandpaper just enough to get pecks out and dull the finish a little. The wrinkled door need not be sanded just wiped. Dust around the handles and gaskets so tape will bond and tape off anything you don't want paint on using masking tape. If this task will take more than a couple of days use blue painters tape so it will remove. Wipe again with paint thinner. Careful with the thinner because it will lift the tape. At this point you are ready to paint. Without a doubt, Sherwin-Willaims SuperAcrylic Spray Paint is the best I have used and I have used most of them. Don't let the part time help at S/W sell you appliance epoxy because it is just no good for appliances. Odd but true. Spray the first coat as lightly as you can and don't worry about lines or areas that don't cover. The idea with the first couple of coats is to fog in with NO runs. Spray one up and down and the next side to side. With the acrylic paint you MUST recoat each coat with in two hours or the paint will wrinkle the coat under it and you really have a mess. From start to finish you should spray all coats in about 2 hours. They dry in minutes and recoat as soon as possible. I most often spray 5-6 times and it takes about 4-5 cans of paint. I would buy seven because you don't (can't) run out. Take back what you don't use. I have almond, avocado factory finish stuff and some white ones I have done this way and have had body shop people try to tell the difference and none have been correct beyond normal guessing. Let us know how they come out and good luck!.....Mike

Old 09-24-02, 06:42 AM
utee94
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Rich and Mike,

Thanks for the quick responses. As you correctly surmised, the appliances are operating perfectly and I really can't afford to buy new ones right now.

I suspected your responses wouldn't be incredibly favorable, especially on the stove top, but I was hoping for a miracle!

I would like to repaint the dark, cheap, wooden cabinetry in white and use brushed stainless accents around the kitchen. Although the almond appliances wouldn't clash as bad as, say, harvest gold or avocado green, painting them white or mimicking stainless would look better IMO.

I have heard of people replacing their dishwasher cover with stainless steel sheet metal and I might try that, but unfortunately that doesn't help me with the stove and vent hood. The refrigerator is new and white, so it's not a problem.

Anyway, thanks again for your responses!

Old 09-30-02, 08:13 PM
gladdog
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Stainless finish in kitchen

Hey, I just found a really neat thing... There's a company that makes facings for appliances that can just be inserted within the trim. They do make a stainless front for frige/freezers, dishwashers, etc. The product seems to be reasonably priced. Check out the website for Frigo (I don't have the exact URL).
robyn

Old 10-01-02, 04:42 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Here is the url for Frigo www.frigodesign.com/ I am trieing to get used to using the word url instead of link because thats all we can post now for a while.....Mike

Old 10-01-02, 07:04 AM
gladdog
Visiting Guest
Paint

So Mike, you seem to be the guy in the know about paint -- I'm trying to find Hammerite hammered finished in a can (nonaerosol). I tried their website (Masterchem), but no luck on where I can find it. Do you know where I can get it? I'm in the Wash, DC metro area. Many thanks.
gladdog
alexandria, VA

Old 10-02-02, 05:20 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hammerite

gladdog, Hammerite url http://www.hammerite.com/dFinity/ham...nfndbhpof.html

Take a look at the Exterior section and just under that is a button for automotive. Both areas seem to have the hammered version in tins as they call them for brushing or spraying. Check their link "Stockists" for dealers......Mike

Old 10-07-02, 03:56 PM
utee94
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, guys. Good ideas, which I'll probably pursue. I have two weeks off starting next week, so now is the time to complete the kitchen.

I'm also planning on installing pressed tin for the backsplashes, so it should all look pretty cool when I'm done.