prepping iron fence

Old 10-05-02, 02:42 PM
deniseorjohn
Visiting Guest
prepping iron fence

We tried to a product called Hammer Coat to prime and paint our iron pool fence. It's a very thick enamel paint. Problem is the fence now looks very bad - it dried with ripples and uneven surface paint and very thick coats in many places. Some thick areas are very soft and imprints easily. My husband used a brush because the Hammer Coat was too thick to spray. The fence now does not have that smooth hard crisp look of iron. Any ideas of how to take it off? And what type of primer to use as well as paint? I assume renting a sprayer and spraying enamel would give the best look? Would sand blasting existing fence get this thick ugly coating off?
Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-02, 08:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad luck. Sand or bead blasting would likely work as well as using stripper.

Check with the manufacturer of the paint for recommended primer.

Spray equipment can give much nicer results. I doubt that the finish is too thick to spray, given the proper equipment and preparation.

Depending upon the scope of the project, it may be worthwhile to have the vendor of the fence recommend a couple of painters to quote the entire project to you to give you a feel for how motivated you may be to do this job.