Painting over previously painted over wallpaper

Old 10-13-02, 03:57 PM
cheesensweets
Visiting Guest
Painting over previously painted over wallpaper

Up my staircase to the second floor and in the upstairs hallway, the previous owners apparently painted over the wallpaper (from the 70's). This was approx. 10 years ago. Needless to say, the walls will eventually need to be painted again. It looks like I have three options: 1) remove all paint and wallpaper, patch walls, prime and paint fresh walls; or, 2) lightly sand existing walls the way they are, prime with an oil-based primer (Kilz) and paint walls; or, 3) put a few skim coats of joint compound on all walls, sand, prime and paint. My issue with numbers 1 and 3 are the amount of work required. The staircase is tall and it would require building some sort of scaffolding for a lot of work. Granted, if going for option 2, I'd still have to use a scaffold to prime and paint but it would be much less heartache. The walls are in decent shape despite some wallpaper seams that can seen in some areas. Any suggestions on how to best approach this?[

Old 10-14-02, 07:39 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best approach is option 1. Sometimes wallpaper is painted over because it is impossible to remove or it's complete removal will tear up the walls. This is probably not the case; laziness is the number one reason for painted wallpaper. I say give it the old college try, if you need stripping advice refer to my website. If after trying to remove the old paper and it refuses to come off or is causing damage, go for option 2.

Old 10-26-02, 11:25 PM
blistexluv
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

well cheese, i'm not going to say it doesn't suck, but option 1 is your best bet. we spent easily 100 man hours taking wallpaper off our entire house when we moved in, but now it's worth it. every ^%$!* surface had wallpaper, some with (get this...) *more than one coat* of wallpaper, and all had been painted over, some several times. it was a nightmare, but we had several friends helping us out over the course of a few weeks and it got done.
you'll be much happier in the long run, believe me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: