crackle paint finish gone wrong

Old 10-14-02, 08:55 PM
gladdog
Visiting Guest
Unhappy crackle paint finish gone wrong

I've done it now. I did a great paint job with a ragged-off glaze finish in my kitchen. Put up a great border and couldn't stop there. My washer/dryer is in the kitchen behind bifold 6-panel doors and I decided to paint them in the base coat color, apply a crackle coat then paint the raised surfaces (not the recessed portions of the panels) with the glaze color to result in the doors having a crackle finish with base coat trim.
Well, I read all the directions, and thought I followed them to the letter. But I didn't get any crackle at all -- just a really globby look. The only thing I can think of that I did wrong is the top coat had glaze in it. Would that have caused my mess? Second question -- how do I get rid of the mess? My first thought is to sand the two paint coats and the crackle coat totally off and start again. Or is there some sort of a remover or stripper that will get rid of it? I should have quit while I was ahead! Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-02, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crackle-Painted Finish

Crackle-Painted Finish

Materials:

Project or surface to crackle-finish
Satin latex paint in two contrasting colors
Crackle-finish medium
Paintbrush
Polyurethane sealer

Apply a base coat of paint to your project surface, and let dry. The base coat will show through the crackled top coat, so choose paint colors that contrast nicely. We used a black base coat and a white top coat.

Brush a coat of clear crackle-finish medium onto the piece. The crackle glaze usually takes 30 minutes to an hour to dry; follow the manufacturer's directions.

Brush the latex top coat onto the piece, loading the brush with enough paint that each section can be painted with one motion (figure A). The crackling begins immediately on the first layer of paint it comes in contact with. Avoid over-brushing, which erases the cracks.

When the entire crackle finish is dry, seal the piece with a coat of acrylic polyurethane.
White glue may also be used as a crackle-glaze medium (figure B). Brush the glue on a base-coated piece, and when the glue is just dry enough to form a thin skin, brush on the top-coat color. As the glue dries completely a subtle crackle effect appears. To achieve a spidery, mottled crackle finish, spray-paint the latex top coat (figure C).

Crackle Finish

From "Faux Finishes" Episode DID-120
Decorating & Design. DIY. Retrieved 15 October 2002. http://www.diynet.com/DIY/article/0,2058,1077,FF.html

I believe you answered your own questions regarding your failure to achieve your desired effect. You can sand or strip the areas you wish to redo. Check with your local paint center for a stripper.