Painting woodwork

Old 10-26-02, 07:03 AM
S
silverghost
Visiting Guest
Painting woodwork

I'm having a devil of a time painting the wood bottom inside a very large wall niche. The original paint finish was imperfect, so I sanded, primed, and painted with Behr Premium latex semi-gloss using a new polyester brush. The result looked terrible - full of brush marks and lap marks. I sanded lightly, added some Floe-Trol www.floodco.com/Products/floetrol.cfm and did it again. Still looked bad. Sanded again, added more Floe-Trol, used a heavier coat of paint, and it looks even worse. I haven't tried thinning the paint, but that's gonna be the next step. If that doesn't work, I'm stripping it all off and starting from scratch with a different paint. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Dave

Last edited by silverghost; 10-26-02 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-02, 07:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floe-Tol is more intended for spraying. Generally, brushing paint does not benefit from thinning. My guess would be poor quality brush coupled with too much air flow causing the paint to dry too fast, or the coats being so thin that they dry too fast for the brushing rate. My first bet would be the brush. A first quality polyester brush is not cheap, but will last a lifetime.

You might consider changing paint brands. Inasmuch as many have different experiences with different paints, Behr is not known locally as a front runner. Brands such as: Benjamin Moore, Devoe, Valspar come to mind.