Interior Painting - Colors

Old 11-05-02, 09:29 AM
MMY
Visiting Guest
Question Interior Painting - Colors

We have a very long Family Room / Kitchen. When choosing color combinations, is there some standard rule? Say, if the walls are painted a pale lavender, the ceiling a hint of lavender, what color combination should the trim on the pantry be and also color on the pantry doors? For instance, should the trim / baseboards match the wall color -- and the pantry doors a third color or vise verse or is it just a matter of preference? I am having the exact same problem throughout the house, especially when using 3 colors? I already have 3 different opinions.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 04:35 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
There are no rules. Do whatever you like. It's really a matter of personal preference. For my taste, I like my ceilings and trim white with a bit of color on the walls.

Old 11-05-02, 05:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Choosing paint colors

Ceilings do not have to be white. You can paint 2-3 shades lighter than wall color. Trim can be the same color as walls, using oil or semi-gloss latex. If trim is dramatic, as in old houses, you might want to dramatize it with a shade or two darker. If trim is not dramatic, and is the standard 2 1/4" you may not want to draw attention to it. For long rooms, a darker shade on the ends of the longer room can visually shorten the walls.