Painting over colours with off-white

Old 11-05-02, 12:53 PM
perfectofc
Visiting Guest
Painting over colours with off-white

Hello – I have a bunch of colours in an apartment that I am giving up at the end of the month and am looking for some recommendations as to what I can expect when painting over.

Should I bother to use a primer? As long as I do a passable job everyone will be happy, but I don’t want to spend all day doing four or five coats of paint when I could have primed and painted.

The colours I have to paint over are :

Yellow (a bit of an orange tinge to it – took me 3 coats to get it to the right colour)
Baby blue (2 coats to get it right)
Lime green (2 coats)

The walls have to be painted an off-white colour.

Thanks very much – any tips/tricks will be very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 03:30 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
I personally don't think you have to prime but count on at least two coats to cover the colors you mentioned. Some colors may require more. Get a top quality paint as good paint covers better. Benjamin Moore is just such a paint. I always count on two coats whenever there's a color change. Allow the first coat to thoroughly dry before applying the second. Avoid thinning the paint unless necessary.

Old 11-07-02, 11:12 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The blue and green colors may be difficult to cover. I suggest you use a stain hiding primer (KILZ, BINs) before you top coat.

Old 11-08-02, 06:15 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using a primer will help hide the other colors, requiring less finish paint. The primer is generally cheaper than the finish paint.