Bubbling Paint

Old 11-14-02, 01:49 PM
AOL
Visiting Guest
Bubbling Paint

I've painted my hallway only to discover patches of bubbles coming through. l washed the walls beforehand with tsp, rinsed, filled cracks and holes with drywall compound, let dry for over a week, then sanded. l used a latex primer/sealer first, let that dry for 3 days then painted with latex velvet. l've had so many conflicting reports from hardware stores, can anyone out there come up with answer to cure this problem.

Merci.

Old 11-14-02, 05:36 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't pretend to know more than all the experts to whom you have spoken, but I have the same problem you have. Here is what I intend to do about it. This is based upon reading a lot here and other places.

I did the same thing and as the paint was drying the surface lifted in places and has over time split along the surface of the bubbles.

This is the plan. Scrape off all the loose paint, feather somewhat along the edges, prime with Zinser to seal the exisitng surface, the entire wall, and all that lies beneath. Use joint compound to fill the defects where the paint was scraped. Prime over the joint compound then paint with the finish coat of latex.

The consensus on the problem is that somewhere in all the coatings on the wall, something fails when the vehicle in the latex paint affects it. The new paint actually pulls the old away from the wall, then dries. Sealing it with Zinser, a shellac based product, will seal the old off from the effects of the alcohol and water in the latex and stop the lifting. I hope this works. I have two rooms and a 27 foot long hallway to remedy.

Old 11-15-02, 03:33 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Blistering paint

I have seen paint blister on walls that have been washed and not properly rinsed. I have also seen it blister when there were high humidity/moisture conditions. Poor quality paint can also result in blistering. And, as chfite stated another cause may be, "The consensus on the problem is that somewhere in all the coatings on the wall, something fails when the vehicle in the latex paint affects it.

Old 11-17-02, 02:20 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just had the exact same thing happen to me in my room. Walls were formerly painted with semi-gloss, with many coats and colors....I had peeling, bubbling, and you name it.....best thing to do.....scrape off all loose paint, don't worry about scraping too much, the more the better....Then seal walls with ZINNSER PEEL STOP 123. This product is a liquid adheasive that seeps into the cracks of the paint and glues them down. Then spackle the scraped areas. Let dry 24 hours, sand, and use PEEL STOP again in same areas. Then prime and paint. When you are painting, you may still see some bubbling, but when it dries, you will get perfect results. I spent two weeks making mistakes, and then used this product. IT IS FANTASTIC....TRUST ME. If you do the above in sequence, you will have great results. Good luck.

Old 11-17-02, 08:50 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
We sell Peel Stop and it does work. The question usually remains as to why the bubbling occured. If the walls are plaster, that is the culprit most times. With repeated applications of water-based products, eventually (and you cannot predict it, just prevent it) the lime in the plaster will react and release CO2 gas that escapes through the layer/s of topcoat. An oil/alkyd primer throughout oil provide the barrier to avoid this problem. Then topcoat with latex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: