A good question....

Old 11-21-02, 05:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A good question....

I have just finished my drywall in my basement. I am ready to put on the 'Firstcoat' primer, and then paint.

A friend told me I was crazy to prime the rock. He said all you had to do was put two coats of paint on.

Is he full of beans? Should I still prime? What would happen if I didn't?

Please help!! Trip

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-02, 11:23 AM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Not exactly sure what will happen if you don't prime bare drywall but I suspect that you'll have some paint bonding problems down the line if you don't. A specific primer is made for new drywall which is what I would recommend using for that first coat. Primer and paint are not the same! They have different properties and different purposes. Play it safe and apply new drywall primer before proceeding with your finish coat. Otherwise, everything you do may come peeling off in two years.

Old 11-21-02, 11:54 AM
T
Thanks Tommy! That's what I was going to do anyway (actually I already started).

I just wanted to get another opinion and have something to throw back at him next time we talk. I know he'll try and make me feel stupid for doing it the right way.

Trip

Old 11-21-02, 12:21 PM
K
Use PVA primer on bare drywall.

Two coats of finish paint will not seal the drywall properly and at certain angles of light, you will be able to see the seams thru the paint because it will absorb differently.

That is what the PVA primer does.