Painting the bathroom

Old 12-05-02, 11:54 AM
IlyaB
Visiting Guest
Question Painting the bathroom

I would like to paint the bathroom. On one of the walls, the paint is peeling so I think it is time. What kind of prep do I need to do and what kind of paint do I use? How long before and after the bathroom is nonusable?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-02, 10:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting a bathroom

All loose paint will need to be scraped. Affected areas will need to be sanded and primed with a couple coats of primer. A water-based semi-gloss latex paint is recommended. Read and follow directions regarding drying times for primer and paint. Allow extra time because drying times tend to vary depending on temperature and humidity. Humidity in bathrooms tends to be high if showering and bathing during painting. Keep the exhaust vent fan running and the bathroom door open for for good ventilation and to exhaust humidity.

If paint is peeling this may be due to high humidity in the bathroom and improper ventilation. You need to address these issues before beginning your project. If not, all your hard work may lead to the new paint job peeling as well.

Running bathroom vent fan for at least 30 minutes after bathing helps remove humidity from bathroom.

Old 12-12-02, 05:40 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
please do the proper prep work (scrap, sand, prime) or your fantastic new coat of paint will peel of - most likely faster then the current paint job peeled.

i have always used "bathroom" paint as it is supposed to handle the moisture and potential mold better than other paints - not sure how true it is but i have not had a problem in a few years.

Old 12-12-02, 11:05 AM
Pocket Painter
Visiting Guest
The two answers above are correct. Bathroom paint is usually made of acrylic resin for durability, adhesion, color retention and so on. Be sure as stated, to check the amount of moisture in the areas of peeling paint. There may be water coming from an invisible source and that must be dealt with before priming and painting.

Remember, water will always take the path of least resistance. It will find a weal film build or any other advantage and push through that point and spread.
Using an acrylic finish coat will allow water vapor to pass through it for under a microscope, acrylics, latex paints resemble a sponge, paths through the paint film in which water can travel and escape through the surface.

Water can wear down mountains, imagine what it coul do to paint and drywall?