repainting interior walls oh gosh, please help!

Old 12-06-02, 10:23 AM
sanfranciscogrl
Visiting Guest
Unhappy repainting interior walls oh gosh, please help!

hello I am a young women that will be moving into her first flat in San Francisco in January. Before I did I wanted to repaint all the walls in my new home. However I don't exactly know how to do this and really need detailed advice or rather instructions on how to execute this task. To begin, please let me update you. This place has alot of potential. Hardwood floors, working fire place, built in glass hutch and nice Edwardian detailing.
1. But, you can't even see the fine detailing from all the layers of paint that past tenants have carelessly sloped on. It really is an ugly site, paint boogers everywhere. I guess what I'm asking is how do you remove all those extra layers of paint so that the wall looks smooth again and enables the detailing to be seen again.
2. And the fire place, while it is working is painted black with what looks like exterior black gloss paint, yuk!. By looking at it you can tell that it is origanally brick and while I don't think it will be possible to return it to that state, I would like some ideas as to how to make it look better. Can I remove the black, what are my options in what I can use to refinish it to a better state?
3. The wall above the fire place has begun to peel and literally melt off the cieling. It is a stucco ceiling and we will definently have to scape off the existing stucco and refinish it. But how do I remove it off the cieling? And do I really have to replace it back with stucco. I would much rather use moldings and create an artistic ceiling, one I can be proud of.

Oh please anyhelp will be greatly appreciated. I'm not exactly a handy women and need a handy man with some experience to pass down some advice. I'm willing to do the work and I have resorces to borrow or rent the tools.... any one?? thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-02, 07:07 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have some ideas about your ceiling. Making it smooth should probably be done the old fashioned way....sanding. Once you have a smooth surface, you really have 5 options.

1. Leave it flat and paint it.
2. Texture with one of the many varieties out there.
3. Sculptured plaster, like you pointed out.
4. Flat with crown moldings and medallion work.
5. Wallpaper.

Yeah, I had to go there....wallpaper. When you described your house, I immediately thought of expanded vinyl wallpaper. This would be perfect. It would also be far cheaper that hiring a pro to do a nice sculptured plaster finish. I will give you some advice/URLs and you decide.

The "original" is Anaglypta.

http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/home.htm

This is a linoleum wallpaper made in England. It is definately NOT a DIY wallpaper. Use a professional installer for this paper! You will probably have to order this through a wallpaper store or designer.

You can more easily find SuperFresco by Graham & Brown.

http://www.grahambrown.com/product/superfresco.htm

You can get it at most Lowe's or Home Depot stores. This type of wallpaper is far easier to handle and the only advice you really need if you have any experience is use a light touch and have a friend as a helper. Ceilings can be a pain when working alone.

There are other brands of this type of wallpaper out there. All you have to do is go into your local wallpaper store and ask for expanded vinyl or Anaglypta wallpaper. They will take care of the rest.

My only other piece of advice is to make some friends at your local paint store! Go in there at one morning right around 10 a.m. (this is after the pros have been there and before the DIYers go there ) and tell them what you plan to do. Take some time with them, and they will do the same for you. I wouldn't recommend this at a big home improvement chain. Go to a Sherwin Williams or other large paint store in your area. Bringing a box of donuts will do wonders for your discount as well too!