Roll or Spray?

Old 12-09-02, 11:37 AM
starling72
Visiting Guest
Question Roll or Spray?

I just purchased an old home (built 1885) that needs some TLC. One of the projects I plan to do on my own is repainting the entire interior...2300sf of living space. The former owners smoked and all walls are still the original plaster with mostly a flat latex finish (2 of the rooms have an glossy look to them, though).

I need advice on what my best course of action would be, given that I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this project...maybe 3-4 weekends...and that I need to prime & paint all ceilings and walls. Should I spray? Are there sprayers that work better for interior work than others?

Also, is there a primer that can both be sprayed on and will stick to any existing finish (oil or enamel paint)?

Thanks in acvance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-02, 06:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, clean the walls and woodwork with TSP or its equivalent. Given my experience with my 60+ year old plaster walls, I would prime with Zinser to really seal everything well. This will cover almost anything. I recommend rolling and brushing. A first time job inside is no time to learn to spray. I used a power fed roller to do my house. I had two weeks to repaint the entire inside, after work hours.

Old 12-09-02, 06:31 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spray takes a lot of prep time. I would only spray if you want everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) the same color and finish. Zinser is definitely a good suggestion on priming, you never know what they have on those walls, an easy way to test is to take some Goof Off (or M-1 Remover, same thing) and LIGHTLY rub each wall with a rag/paper towel, if it comes off on the rag, then it's latex. This is true for Latex Flat, Satin, or Semi-Gloss. You can use this method to test all the walls (especially the glossy walls, they may be an oil-based) and the trim, if you plan to paint it also. Make sure you prime the ceilings good too, as this where most of the yellowing from smoking occurs.

Good Luck!