painting

Old 12-17-02, 12:09 PM
painterchic58
Visiting Guest
Question painting

How do you avoid the "framed" look you sometimes get when cutting in around ceilings, doors and windows. I am on my second coat of a deep red for a foyer. When it dries, I hope the "frame" will be less noticeable. Maybe it just needs more coats?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-02, 05:55 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
more coats needed

probably three
you may not have to cut three times
but roll three times

Old 12-17-02, 07:26 PM
C
Don't cut in so far in advance of rolling that the brushed area starts to dry.

Old 12-18-02, 07:32 AM
Pocket Painter
Visiting Guest
The answer more coats and time between cut and roll are both right. Picture framing is a result of an un-matched film thickness between cut and roll. When you get enough film build, the framing should vanish. Always try to roll soon after the cut, the wet edge is always the best.

Dark colors are beasts for framing and a good brush helps as well. Like Purdy or Wooster.

Best Wishes

Gary
The Pocket Painter

Old 12-18-02, 09:46 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
To add to all of the other good posts, don't be cheap with the paint on the roller. It is very easy to continue rolling instead of reloading as often as should be done. Two coats with a well-loaded roller and quality paint like Benjamin Moore.

Old 12-20-02, 04:40 AM
B
deep red is the hardest to get to look right...

Deep red has a lot of pigment and its hard to get that pigment evenly distributed.

How many coats it will take depends on several factors. The quality of the paint and tools is a major factor. Experience is another.

Use the best brushes and roller sleeves you can find. They make a huge difference.

As the others have said, keep a wet edge. If you are working by yourself this means doing only part of the wall at one time.

Don't over brush nor over roll. Unfortuneatly, this comes with experience.

As an inexperienced diyer, plan on at least three coats. Thats if you are using a top quality paint. If, as I expect, you are using the big box specials, plan on 4 or 5 coats. Yes, there is that much difference in quality. A neighbor did this several years ago. He used a middle grade paint and middle grade tools. It took him 5 coats.

Old 12-20-02, 08:23 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Red is one of the colors truly suffering from the removal of lead and it's wonderful color spectrum.

Old 12-21-02, 05:10 PM
pure_country
Visiting Guest
The others have covered most all u can be told I do however have a suggestion that i find works well.If you are not having to cut in as well as roll,you might try going over what you cut in with a zip roller(being very careful not to touch cieling/trim)This will usually add just enough texture so that you wont have any picture frame effect.