painting stripes

Old 12-19-02, 03:55 PM
painterchic58
Visiting Guest
Unhappy painting stripes

I started with a dark red wall and am applying a slightly lighter color mixed with a glaze for a striping effect. When I pulled off the tape, which was a low tack tape, some of the paint came off too! I was careful to remove the tape soon after the painting, but it still happened. Now I have a whole where there is no paint.
Should I apply spackle to build up the layers sand a little, and then paint over? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-02, 07:47 PM
Pocket Painter
Visiting Guest
Hi Painterchic58,

I would feather sand the edges of the hole with a light grit sand paper. Apply a primer to the hole, light coat. Then apply a light weight spackle over it then sand when dry, then prime again. Then apply your finish coat.

This procedure may seem like repeating, but it will fill the hole and make the under surface more stable. Your paint film levels will fill better with a stable surface and you will keep a more even sheen level with the rest of the wall.

Best Wishes

Gary Rabe
The Pocket Painter

Old 12-31-02, 10:32 PM
NLC&P93
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Sheen Striping

Couldn't help but wonder if you were working on a "color" striping or a "sheen" striping A clear finish works great for sheen striping. Although it's still a challenge to remove painter's "blue"tape !!

Much has to be said about paints adheasive qualities over a questionable surface. I do lots of these kinds of effects and I have found that with the slightest contamination under your base-paint, your tape will will want to take more off than it should! Tape removal takes MOST of the time in this application

Hope your repair worked out...it was good advise!