prime or caulk first, latex or oil primer

Old 12-20-02, 05:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question prime or caulk first, latex or oil primer

The facts: wooden frame house built in 1940. it's been cleaned and pressure sprayed. about to scrape and sand. should i caulk before priming or after priming? what grit sandpaper is best? i know everyone says oil based primer on bare wood but i never like the way latex paint goes over oil based primer. what would the down side be if i was to use latex primer?

thanks for your help.

joanb

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-02, 05:53 AM
Pocket Painter
Visiting Guest
Hi there,

In regards to caulking and priming, I prefer to caulk then prime. If you are using a 100% silicone caulk, they are not paintable or primable (Is that a word?) Ha. Caulking will fill and seal the cracks and holes and the like, priming over top of the caulk will only help seal as well and prepare a good surface for your finish paint to adhere to.

Oil primer vs Latex? Round One. Ding! Ding!

In general, oil primers are good for bare wood for they bind down and seal the surface more efficently. Some oils are long oils or linseed oils, (Longer dry, better penetration, use on large surfaces, will resist cracking) And short oils or Alkyd Oils (Quick drying, very durable, do not apply to large moveable surfaces)

Oils take longer to dry so they have more time to "soak in" to the wood. BUT with the new technology today and 100% Acrylic Latex primers and finish paints, they hold up and seal the surface as well as an oil and better in some cases.

You can apply an acrylic primer then an acrylic finish to the wood and have no problems. If the house has been painted before, chances are there are a few coats of oil already and I do not think adding another coat of oil anything will make it any better. Kind of like adding too much sugar to tea, it can only get so sweet. **Make sure the wood is not redwood, or cedar. There are tannins which will bleed through the primer and finish if you do not prime with an oil primer. Tannins are water soluble and as we know water and oil do not mix so they will not bleed through the oil primer.**

I say go acrylic, acrylic. I like Porter Paint, I worked for them for 6 years, Try their Acrylic Bonding Primer #515. and their Acri-Shield #520 Finish. Both 100% Acrylic Latex. Other paint companies have great products as well.

Best Wishes

Gary Rabe
The Pocket Painter--A guide to paint problem and project solutions all in a handbook.

Old 12-20-02, 07:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just in case, I did not understand the tongue in cheek part about the silicone caulk. Silicone will not take primer or paint. The siliconized acrylic latex caulks will take primer and paint, and are as durable as silicone. Is that correct?

Old 12-20-02, 07:39 PM
Pocket Painter
Visiting Guest
Hey there,

Absolutely correct on the caulk.

100% silicone caulk will not take primer or finish paint. But a siliconized acrylic latex caulk will.

They are durable and provide many benefits. Multitude of colors, even clear. And not as expensive! That in itself is a bonus.

Whereas a 100% Silicone caulk is great for sealing and repelling water such as bath tubs, sinks and general areas where water is a constant.

Best Wishes

Gary Rabe
The Pocket Painter