Cutting in a darker color

Old 12-22-02, 09:21 AM
mshaffner
Visiting Guest
Cutting in a darker color

I plan to cut in a dark color on my walls and keep the ceiling white. I have a texture that is most likely a knock down, but I'm not sure. I really want to create a straight edge but don't know how to do it properly.

I have heard that you can use blue masking tape, then apply latex caulk to the edge lightly with your fingertips. This is supposed to peel back perfectly when your through. All the latex caulk I find contains silicone as well, which concerns me.

Any thoughts for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-02, 07:38 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The texture likely does not extend all the way to the ceiling. In any event, just cut in along the ceiling line. Using tape on the ceiling will do fine without anything else. Be sure to press the edge of the tape down well with your finger, before painting. As soon as the paint is dry to the touch, pull the tape. Even if you plan a second coat, leaving the tape on too long may cause it to leave residue on the ceiling. In any event, I doubt that anyone is tall enough to tell that any cut line is not good at ceiling level.

The siliconized, acrylic latex caulks are excellent for painting. The silicone contained in them is not the contaminant that the pure silicone caulk is for paint.

Old 12-23-02, 09:05 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Forget the tape!Your not going to get it to stick good enough to keep the paint from getting behind it.Its not that hard to cut in ceiling lines just take your time.Just dont bump it with your roller.
Now you can use the tape on you base board.Just paint a section and pull some of it and make sure its not getting behind it.When you tape it off try draging a blount metal tool over it to make it seal tight.Dont waste your money on the blue tape its so thick it doesnt leave a clean line.Look for masking tape that is kinda white in color if you see sevaral differant kinds youll see the color differance im talking about the yellow stuff does do very well.Also do not leave regular masking tape on for more than a couple of days or if it is very hot.It will dry to the surface and be very hard to remove.Also do not fload any taped areas with paint it will find itsway behind it or dry hard and make removal a pain.

Old 12-24-02, 03:55 AM
If using tape. Always pull it off immediately or it wll create a 'film' and chip when you pull the tape off.
fred

Old 12-29-02, 03:03 AM
edtree
Visiting Guest
I've not had much luck with the painters tape either. No matter how hard I press, the paint finds its way underneath or pulls off the paint it's covering. How about trying a metal straight edge? I have one that I picked up for wallpapering that is about 2-3 feet long. If you press this firmly into your wall/ceiling line, paint, then carefully lift the tool away, wipe the tool clean and go to the next area, you will have less spill-over on your ceiling. Also, you will be able to see right away if you DO. If you are using latex paint you can usually wipe away any stray paint if you do it quickly with a damp rag or sponge.

One more thing. I keep an assortment of artist brushes on hand for those tricky little areas like the very tips of corners.
Hope this helps a bit.

Elizabeth

Old 12-29-02, 10:24 AM
Here's a possible trick. When I used to do models (airbrush and brush) Scotch Magic tape(the frosted one) was the one to use.
it's worth a try.
fred

Old 12-31-02, 04:21 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Hey edtree next time you need to tape something look for the white looking masking tape it will pull flat paint from dry wall jionts sometimes to but not nearly as bad, it has less adhesive but still sticks good also leaves a better edge than painters tape because its thinner.It pulls nice and doent harden as fast if left on for a few days like the yellow stickey crap.

Old 12-31-02, 04:33 PM
edtree
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jack,

I'm always looking for a better or easier way. I'll look for the white tape next time I'm at the home store; I've tried just about every other color

Elizabeth