trim

Old 01-02-03, 03:57 AM
TC627
Visiting Guest
Cool trim

I'm redecorating the interior of my home. We had painted all our trim because the previous owner had already painted over it. My seond floor has stained wood. I prefer the that look. The problem isn't replacing the trim, it would be having to replace the window and door jams. Someone had told me there was a paint that looks like wood stain. Is this true? If so, what is it and where can I get it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-03, 01:43 AM
edtree
Visiting Guest
If you've got a bit of an artistic flair, you can make almost any surface look like wood or match other woods using a faux technique.

This will take practice, so I would suggest getting yourself several practice boards before attempting your door jams.

I recently made over a plastic mirror frame to match my woodwork in my bathroom. I first used a flat white primer to cover up the original black finish, then I painted it with a tan base coat to simulate color of wood. For the grain, I used two different colors of thinned gel stain to make the grain. Afterwards, I coated it with poly.

You can use this basic method on your door jams as well.
Study the colors in the wood you are trying to match to before you choose your faux supplies. Look closely at the light color of your wood for that base coat. It will make a difference in the final product. Go to your paint store and pick up wood color samples and find as close a match as you can for your stain.

There are wood-graining tools available to help you achieve the grain patterns, or you can use a paint brush.
Good luck, and I hope this helps you a bit.

Elizabeth