painting over semi-gloss

Old 01-02-03, 05:53 PM
Carolden
Visiting Guest
painting over semi-gloss

I just finished painting my kitchen ceiling with a semi-gloss paint and I am not happy with the results. It shows every imperfection. Can I paint over it with a satin finish without priming again and will this help the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-03, 06:03 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Carolden, you can go right over the S/G with satin and it should help the problem a great deal. Eggshell would show imperfections even less.....Mike

Old 01-02-03, 06:11 PM
Carolden
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by mikejmerritt
Hello Carolden, you can go right over the S/G with satin and it should help the problem a great deal. Eggshell would show imperfections even less.....Mike
I painted the walls with a semi-gloss, will the eggshell finish on ceiling look ok?

Old 01-03-03, 05:05 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I suppose that would be a matter of personal preference. I have learned here that in some areas the S/G ceilings are the thing to do. Around here there are few ceilings done in anything but flat finish so to me the S/G walls with eggshell ceilings would be a very nice look......Mike

Old 01-03-03, 03:13 PM
Carolden
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike for all your help. Your opinions have been very helpful. I'm still deciding what to do. I will let you know how I make out.

Old 01-03-03, 07:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if I may ask....

What is the concern? Is it aesthetics or is there a problem you are trying to handle?

Mike is correct - most ceilings are done with a flat finish. Ceilings simply do not get dirty like walls and so don't need the extra protection/scrubability of a higher sheen.

Now a kitchen - depends on the foods you like to cook and how you cook them. If you cook a lot of high fat foods or use a deep fryer a lot, then you probably want at least eggshell or satin.