Painting Finished Wood Funiture

Old 01-02-03, 05:54 PM
beesan
Visiting Guest
Painting Finished Wood Funiture

Hi I'm looking to paint an old wood futon. The wood is stained and varnished. I do not want to restain the wood, just want to paint a solid color. Should I prime then paint? Or sand, prime, and paint?

Do you have any paint recommendations? (oil, latex, acrylic)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-03, 02:21 PM
Baldguy
Visiting Guest
Sand!!!

You'll have to sand to remove the gloss coat of varnish. You shouldn't have to sand any more than that (i.e. remove the stain itself).

I'd recommend a medium grit paper to get the gloss off. You'll want the surface smooth before you paint so you'll want to follow up the medium grit paper with a fine grit.

Use a tack cloth or some other means to remove the dust from sanding and then you should be able to paint.

Old 01-04-03, 01:25 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Yep like said in before post just rough up the shine with like 100 grit sand paper (cheap sanding sponge will work best) and aply good qauilty oil paint shouldnt have to prime it if you use oil.In my exsperiance the oil paint sticks better than primers. I would use high gloss it will lay down better and show less brush strokes.Just make sure you get it right the first time dont touch it with the bush after it tacks up.Unless you have a run appear.Tacks usally in 2 to 5mins or so.If you have a light spot wait till it drys 24 hrs then touch it up dont worry about where you start and stop brush stroke for touch up it will lay down after a few mins.

Best covering oil paint ive used is Farrel Calhouns or second choice Porters.They should cover in one coat deppending on color.White will.
If you use Farrels you can use it right out of the can.But if you use Porters you might need to thin it down a bit.