Kitchen Cabinets

Old 01-07-03, 05:58 AM
Commiato
Visiting Guest
Question Kitchen Cabinets

I am painting my kitchen cabinets. They are wood that I cleaned, primered and then painted. I heard that once you're done painting you have to put some sealer and/or protectant on the bottom shelves, where anything will sit, so the paint doesn't stick and pull up when things are put in the cabinets. However, when I asked where we got our paint they had no idea. Does anyone know what product type or name brand of sealer and/or protectant that I should use on the bottom shelves, where anything sits, of my kitchen cabinets? HELP! Thanks! New Home Owner

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-03, 07:38 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a coating to paint has little merit in improving the performance of the paint. If the paint is of appropriate quality for its purpose it should do well. Adequate drying time is essential for performance. Latex paint should have 7 days to harden. Alkyd paint is usually ready for heavy work after 24 hours.

The paint should not stick if it has cured properly.

Old 01-08-03, 11:02 AM
Commiato
Visiting Guest
1 More Question Then

Is the cure time for each coat of paint or is that the final cure time after the last coat was added?

Thank you so much for your previous answer. That means less work for me and just a longer waiting time!

Thanks again!

Old 01-11-03, 02:25 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
That would be the finial coat drying time.If you used latex and you dont want to or cant wait that long you could cut some cardboard for liner to soften the load of say the bottom plate or pan so that it doesnt stick and pull the paint.But would still need atleast 24hrs drying time before lineing.
Good luck!

Old 01-13-03, 05:32 AM
Commiato
Visiting Guest
Talking Thank you!

I just wanted to thank you for you advise and now I know what still needs to be done. I do believe I will have 7 days after the final coat before needing to put items in the cabinets. Thank you again for your advise!