Making the ceiling look higher

Old 01-08-03, 08:15 AM
JanieRM
Visiting Guest
Making the ceiling look higher

We have a 100 year old home in Wisconsin. Previous owners lowered the ceilings in the rooms downstairs from 12' to 8'. We have a small den (previoulsy the parlor) and I would like to have the ceiling appear higher. Currently the room is painted an eggshell color. I am thinking of painting a darker color (maybe 2-3 shades darker) border that is only maybe 2 inches on the wall and 4-5 inches on the ceiling to have the eye continue upwards.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to visually raise the ceiling?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-03, 04:08 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With a user name like Wallpaper, you know what my answer is!

Borders are the best ceiling raisers in my opinion. They can be applied half on the wall and ceiling or just on the ceiling. Either way, they elevate a room. Below is a before and after example. Mind you this is a VERY complicated design and these are tremendously expensive borders and paper, but it does show the effect well.

http://www.bradbury.com/nc_i_ngmakeover.html

Old 01-08-03, 07:24 PM
alwaystrying
Visiting Guest
I would try the paint concept first, you can always cover it with wallpaper. 4-5 inches seems a bit large, but perhaps you have seen a finished project using those measurements. Have you considered a stripe-type technique with paint on the walls? Just an idea. Good luck!