Black wall spots from nails under paint

Old 01-12-03, 12:25 PM
jpower
Visiting Guest
Black wall spots from nails under paint

I own a 2-unit apartment building. painted entire upstairs unit 3 yr ago before tenant moved in. Used high-quality Benjamin Moore latex paint in off-white shades - eggshell finish. Now in almost every room, there are black spots on the walls and ceilings where the nail-(or screw-)heads are located under the paint (drywall had been installed many years previous. Is this a normal thing? The apartment certainly needs repainting now, but should i do anything to make sure the spots don't return, or is this inevitable? Is this caused by dirt/soot collecting around the nailheads by some kind of attraction, or are the nailheads rusting?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 05:24 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello jpower, theres no way for me to know from here what is causing the spots but I would spot them a coat of KILZ Original or any good interior oil based primer sealer. Spot the primer with finish coat and paint.....Mike

Old 01-14-03, 04:13 PM
jpower
Visiting Guest
Black spots on wall over nails

Mike,
Thank you for your help. Actually, in the meantime, i did some investigating. At my wife's urging, I returned to the apartment with some Fantastik and a rag. I sprayed the spots lightly and wiped. VOILA! The spots were merely dirt (actually sooty dirt-she uses candles quite a bit). It is a mystery to me why the dirt collected in the area above each nailhead, but that's exactly what happened. I expect to paint this Spring, so I told the tenant we would use some TSP before painting and that would take care of it.

Am I right? Should a good TSP washing get the surface ready?

Thanks again,
John Power
jpower

Old 01-15-03, 06:06 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sometimes sheetrock screws back out a bit or the rock moves out around the nail/screw leaving areas raised or depressed that are hard to see. These areas can colloect any dust or whatever as time goes by. Washing with TSP would be a good thing....Mike