details on stripes

Old 01-12-03, 04:18 PM
lady caroline
Visiting Guest
Question details on stripes

I am about to take off wall paper and paint stripes in my bathroom. I have directions on removing wallpaper and I have read the other question about stripes and will use the level and pencil. My new question is about what to do after I mark the stripes. I want to do a solid green paint, tape 3 inch wide stripes with whatever tape will not damage the paint, and use a roller to go over this with a wash that will give the illusion of dark and light green stripes when the taped stripes are removed. Can you tell me if this will work and if I need to do anything specific?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-03, 01:16 AM
edtree
Visiting Guest
There has been much discussion here about what kind of tape to use to achieve a nice edge. Look for the low-tack type of painters tape. I have some wide paper with a tacky edge that would probably work well for what you're doing. It is about 6 inches wide and looks like craft paper. I would use this WITH the painters tape. Because the underneath paint will want to pull up with your tape, it would probably be a good idea to let the base coat of paint cure before taping and putting your next color on. I'm not exactly sure on the curing time (depends on the paint), but if you can stand to wait at least a couple of weeks (or longer), you'll have less pulling up of the base coat.

Good luck with your project!

Elizabeth

Old 01-14-03, 01:23 PM
lady caroline
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your suggestions. I am not in a hurry so I will probably let it dry for a few weeks before I add the stripes. I'll post about how it went.