Rolling Issues - Help!

Old 01-13-03, 09:43 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rolling Issues - Help!

How does a professional use a roller?

I have a particular hallway that is driving me crazy. I've now painted it with about 4-5 coats of paint and am still very dissatisfied with the results. The problem is that every time I lift the roller off the wall to re-load in the tray, a noticeable seam remains when the paint dries. You can't see it looking directly at the wall, but looking from an angle, it appears like a faint streak.

Say I begin with the top left corner of the wall and roll about a 2.5' x 2.5' area. Then I'll re-load and do the roughly 2.5'x2.5' area immediately below, except that before lifting the roller, I'll go over both areas just to blend in the two. Finally, I'll do the bottom third of the wall and, before lifting, I'll gently go over the wall from top to bottom, thereby trying to leave no horizontal transition seams (all this overlap because of a phobia of leaving a visible seam!).

Unfortunately, when I do the second "column", no matter how I blend in the two columns (short of going over the entire area with a load), at some point I have to lift the roller and wherever I do, a vertical streak/seam results.

This is paralyzing me from doing another big project--a large family room with cathedral ceilings for fear of ending with the same results. I did not used to have this problem, but this has turned into a real paranoia and now I'm afraid to paint anything. All I do is fret about blending together different areas.

So, what is the proper technique? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 01:15 PM
annie0
Visiting Guest
It sounds as if your're probably 'pushing' the paint into the wall.
Any extra pressure applied will generate those. Try to let the roller do the work.
Also I would get rid of the 'paint tray' - the ribs on the tray are supposed to serve a purpose of expelling access material. They do not. Besides - they do not hold enough paint.
Do yourself a huge favor and get a clean 5 gal. bucket with a lid. Go to a paint store or hardware store and purchase a paint screen (these sit in the bucket and roll off the access paint - so as not to drip. Make sure the the roller cover you are using is clean and free of old dry paint. Get a new one if you need it.
Roll on the wall only in a verticle direction. A load of paint from a bucket/screen set up should cover about a 2-3' wide section. Depending on the nap of the roller cover, and the type of paint you use. There is no need to paint in sections if you have the correct amount of paint, and a good roller.
Hope this helps you ~

Old 01-13-03, 10:20 PM
T
Rolling paint

The issue may also be due to the fact that by the time you refill the paint tray and reload the roller that the paint on the wall has dried, thus causing a demarcation in the paint. When rolling, it is important to roll back your overlaps into wet paint. Keep your paint tray filled so you do not have to waste time. When rolling it is not a good time to take a break.

Old 01-14-03, 04:24 AM
B
you're over rolling

First - start with high quality roller sleeves

Second - use high quality paint. You get what you pay for in paint.

Third- only work about the width of the roller. Start in the miidle and roll up, then down, then blend once. Roller back into the paint and do the strip next to the one you just painted. AS said before, watch the pressure on the roller. Don't just stop and lift, but continue rolling as you slowly lift the roller. IE) more like an airplane taking off than a helicopter taking off.

Finally - what color and sheen are you using? Darker colors (more pigment) are harde for a DIYer to get looking right. The more sheen there is, the more flaws show up.

Old 01-16-03, 01:34 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
You may need to sand down the lines left.This will result in some pealing most likley but it would be easier to level the lines with a sanding pole then float (patch) them with a little dry wall mud.(light wieght jiont compond)And sand level.100 gritt paper would work fine. More coats of paint will not hide these roller lines.

I would also check to see if the roller frame may be bent.All you have to do is push the end aginst the floor to close the bend a little and will result in less pressure being applyed to the outside section of the nap.If you close it to far or that didnt help just hook it over the side of a 5 gallon bucket and pry it back out a bit.It will be springy but it will bend.

As said before besure you keep your roler cover soppy wet.And reload with paint before you roll it dry, you should not apply presure to get the last of the paint out of the roller.I would also recomend a 1/2 nap Whooster 50/50 is the best alround.
And yea throw that roller pan away.And get a bucket and screen.Make sure when you stop rolling for any reason to leave your nap loaded with paint it will air dry quickly when dry.And this will also let it soak up some paint.You can cover your bucket with a trash bag to prevent the roller from drying and dont submerge it in the paint this will allow the inside to fill with paint and drip bad while your useing it.

Also i might ask are you useing a rolling pole? I find some DYIs dont know to use a pole.It will make life easier and your back feel much better.Also easier to aply just the right amount of pressure from top to bottom.

Also i thin all latex wall paint with water.To make it go on eaiser.If you do thin it just make sure you thin it all.It will cause the color to lighten a touch. Genaral rule: 1 gallon of water to 5 gallons of paint. I usally find 3/4 gallons to be enough.

Well good luck!
Im glad you didnt ask how to use a brush.

Old 01-16-03, 01:49 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
I also might add that this is one instance.Where speed will not kill.
The faster you roll the nap on the finish stroke the fuller it will stay.But watch the cieling.It will help to chock up on the pole to where when you reaching as high as comfrontable that you are close but not touching the ceiling.So that at the hieght or you roller stroke that your arms are straight out.
When rolling closets where i cant roll fast i will dry out the roller a bit and roll it up and down the unpainted wall infront of me servral times real fast (watch the sprinkles, this will throw them) to puff it back up then reload it and start painting agin.A flatened out nap will leave lines also.

A good quality cover (nap) will do the hole house two coats if taken care of and not dry roled and flatened.Keeping it fully loaded with paint is the key.