AACCKK! Pinewood Derby car paint emergency!

Old 01-13-03, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AACCKK! Pinewood Derby car paint emergency!

I was tring to get a nice smooth finish on my son's car. We used the gloss spray enamel, and I was sanding between each coat. Unfortunately I guess we did not sand well enough initially, and these darn grooves kept reappearing with each coat. I said the heck with it and decided that one last coat would be it, but now I have a terrible mess (maybe I didn't shake the can enough - don't know what happened but it came out all bumpy) I tried to wipe off the last coat, off course now I have to sand again and repaint. I think maybe I have TOO many coats on it now - if I want to strip the paint off and start with primer (like I should have done to begin with!!) what is the quickest way to do this? It's just a small (7" x 2") pine car, but the derby is getting close and we are running out of time!! I can only work on it at night after work, so I just don't have time for all this drying between coats darn it. But we really wanted it shiny and smooth....any advice??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 06:19 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello yardnut, to get the paint off use Kutzit or any good paint stripper. Brush or wipe it on and keep it wet until the paint begins to lift. Once the paint is off let it dry until it will sand with 220 grit sandpaper until smooth. Any kind or primer would be good but I like lacquer best. Steel wool the primer, wipe with paint thinner and paint. If using acrylic enamel be sure all coats are done within 90 minutes of the last one or it will lift the previous coat.....Mike

Old 01-13-03, 10:00 PM
Thanks Mike. As time is of the essence - I went ahead and sanded the sucker - got it almost back down to the wood, and I am spraying again. This is not a latex enamel - it's the acetone based - or whatever the other stuff is. Pain in the you-know-what to get off my hands! Anyway - I am spraying on thin coats - with at least an hour in between for drying. Looks better now, hopefully it won't "turn" on me again!

Old 01-13-03, 10:24 PM
Derby Paint

I forgot about the Soap Box Derby. One of my brother's entered when I was a child. My dad and he produced a wonderful car. It did not win. They blocked off a street in downtown Huntington, WV, for the great event.

When spraying paint, make sure you don't hold the can too close. I have produced bubbles and bumps on lawn furniture because I was in a hurry and held the can too close and put the paint on too heavy.

Good luck in the Derby. If your car does not come in just remind your son that simply entering the race makes him a winner.

Oh, my, you said the car was 7" x 2"! What kind of derby is this? It's not Soap Box! My daughter had to build a car to enter in a race for a science project. Is this one of those assignments? My father helped her with the project and they did some type of spring tension gizzmo for propelling it. How did you do yours?

Old 01-14-03, 02:46 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I happened to know exactly what kind of car yardnut was helping with when he said Pinewood Derby car. Boy Scouts! You get a 7x2 x2 block of pine to make a gravity driven car out of that is raced down an incline two at a time. I didn't win and don't remember the race at all but do remember the month my father and I worked carving and fitting that thing together. One of my first DIY projects. Best of luck to you and your son yardnut....Mike

Old 01-14-03, 05:15 AM
Pinewood derbys....

I too remember the pinewood derbies - both as a dad and a cubmaster. They are the bane of many a cubmaster. Too many dad's forget that it is the son's project, not the dad's. My first year, one of the dad's bought a book and actually did some wind tunnel testing.

Mike - I'm glad your dad let you do a lot of the work. That's where the memories come from.

Yardnut - take it from me ... the fastest cars were not the prettiest.

Old 01-14-03, 08:33 AM
Yeah - you are right - looks aren't everything. And my son really does most of the work. But I had to take some responsibility since it was looking great until I screwed up that last coat! My son looked at it and his face fell....so mom has to make good.

Yes this is the Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby - it can get a bit ridiculous - you know there are web sites that SELL books on how to build the cars, tricks to winning, etc. etc.?? Sheesh. It's almost an industry. We don't get that nuts about it, just trying to have good time come race day. This is our 4th race year, so we have pretty much gotten down the basics by now, but this is the first year that I used the spray enamel - it was recommended by one of the other parents that use it on his son's cars, and they really looked awesome. SO of course my son chose to use that also. Lucky me. Trials are Saturday - I hope we make it!

Old 01-14-03, 09:35 AM
good for you....

They really do get crazy, especially when there are over 100 boys with cars to race. I ended up having two sessions, with extra trophies. The first session was for ages 5-8 (tigers, wolves, and bears), the second was just for the Weblos.

I built new tracks and let the kids use the old one for fun races. As they were eliminated, those cubs could then use the old track to race as much as they wanted. They had more fun doing that.