Paint Removal

Old 01-13-03, 09:38 PM
Bill_in_PDX
Visiting Guest
Paint Removal

I what to remove all the old paint on the moldings around my double hung windows down to the natural wood. What is everyones opinion on the best way to this. I have looked at different removal chemicals but am not sure how well they work.

Thanks for your input/ideas ahead of time.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-03, 01:25 AM
edtree
Visiting Guest
I recently removed all the paint from several rooms of trim. I first used a heat gun to remove the bulk of the paint, then used the chemical stripper. If you're stripping your wood while it's still attached, look for a paste-type stripper so that it will stay in place better to do it's job. After stripping, make sure to "wash" the areas well with a combination of mineral spirits and lacquer thinner (50/50). This will remove the wax left over from the stripping product, and help to remove any paint residue that may still be hanging on. Have on hand some things to help you along on your project like a stiff brush (I like the brass brushes) and some of those scrubby pads. In the corners or little nooks and crannies, try using a sharpened dowel (the diameter of a pencil), q-tips, an old toothbrush and/or toothpicks.

Hope this helps get you started.

Elizabeth

Old 01-14-03, 09:53 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Get the paint checked for lead first. This effects methods used for removal.