Wood Sealing

Old 01-14-03, 12:19 PM
beatrice11
Visiting Guest
Wood Sealing

I remodeled my basement and had natural pine doors and trim put in. I need to seal or stain or whatever to the wood so it won't absorb moisture and warp. At least thats what the contractor said. I don't want a shine or stain, I'd like it to look at natural as possible. Is there a product that I can use to protect the wood but won't stain it or put a shine on it. Do I need to do this at all? I ask the guys at the hardware store and Home Depot but they just say to use the minwax satin finish which is a finish and not what I really want.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-03, 06:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't let the terminology confuse you. The doors need a finish as opposed to a stain or sealer. The finish will protect the doors from the environment and people and dirt A matte finish is about as flat a finish that you will be able to find that approaches no shine. You could french polish them with shellac and come up with a smooth dead flat finish, but it will have some sheen in it because it is smooth

What you can do is to rub out a polyurethan finish with a white scotchbrite pad and rub it until there is no sheen left at all. This is not as difficult as it seems.

One thing to consider, the flat finish will show abrasions from objects as shiny marks. I would look for a low sheen matte finish in a polyurethane. Make a sample of the wood and finish and see what you think.