Wall prep for dark red paint?

Old 01-18-03, 04:52 PM
Isabel
Visiting Guest
Wall prep for dark red paint?

From searching this forum, I've seen that dark red paint can be really difficult to work with and get even.... but we really, really, REALLY want it, nonetheless.

The Facts: We're using Lowe's 'Valspar American Tradition' paint based on Consumer Reports' ratings saying they're the best out there (and not that pricey!). We've stripped the existing wallpaper with a ton of DIF, will be washing the walls down compulsively to get rid of all residue, and will be priming first with KILZ II Latex. We bought enough paint to safely do 4 coats, if necessary. Two of the walls we're painting are plaster, two are drywall.

Is there anything else we should do before painting with this color to insure it's success? Is there a best method for dark reds, eg., brush, roller, spray? Should we tint the KILZ with the wall color before priming?

I came across so many posts about problems with dark red and burgundy paint I want to try to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks! Is

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-03, 05:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would tint the primer towards the finish color. Rolling is probably the best option. Spraying inside for the first time is no place to learn. Don't push the paint, that is try to get more out of it than there is. Load the roller, put on the paint, and reload.

It is good that you have prepared for extra paint. Dark colors, especially red, don't cover well. You cannot tell how well the paint is covering until it is dry. The variations in appearance as it dries are deceptive.

Don't leave the masking tape on too long.

I have painted almost all the insides of my house with the Valspar and am satisfied.

Old 01-19-03, 12:06 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Count on extra coats. If you get by with 3 you are doing well. Red in particular does not cover well. I have had better luck with black covering.