Painting with Dark Color

Old 01-21-03, 09:35 AM
slgemlerj
Visiting Guest
Question Painting with Dark Color

I am interior painting with a dark Forest Green semi-gloss. I primed first with a lighted green shade (as advised by Home Depot!) I have applied 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of the dark green. I used an edger for near the ceiling and around the doors. I am using a smooth finish roller for the walls. I have two problems: The edger applied a much thicker coat of paint and thus the difference is very noticable from the area rolled. Also, the roller strokes are still very noticable - as if painted unevenly! I have not had this problem in the past when painting with lighter shades/pastels. Will applying a third coat remove the roller lines or is their some sort of "tip" that I need to know before proceeding?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-03, 05:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roller marks are noticeable when you push the paint too hard, trying to make it cover. Another coat will blend more with the trimmer path. Don't try to get more than about 3x3 out of a roller full.

Old 01-22-03, 04:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
have you searched this forum?

This topic has beem covered before. Have you searched this forum yet?

In summary:
Use quality tools. Cheap tools make for a poor job.
Keep a wet edge. If working by yourself, only cut in a 1/4 of the wall before rolling.
Don't over brush nor over roll
Use quality paint - you realy do get what you pay for. Paint from the big boxes and discount chains make it harder to get a good job with dark colors.
Semi-gloss will show more flaws than satin or flat.

Given the quality of paint and tools, inexperience painting, and sheen - count on at least two more coats.