Updating existing cabinets

Old 01-22-03, 01:12 PM
mebill
Visiting Guest
Question Updating existing cabinets

HI! We are currently remodeling a house we just bought and have a question concerning the cabinets. The cabinets were custom made and I really like the size, layout, etc. However, the cabinets are varnished a horribly dated dark stain. We would like to update the cabinets to a white color. Our options are to have them painted (sprayed) or to buy RTF doors and drawer fronts and have the boxes painted.

Any advice anyone??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 04:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It would be much cheaper to have them painted. A new finish will last as long as an original finish.

Old 01-25-03, 12:44 PM
DickW
Visiting Guest
Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I recently remodeled a house and repainted the kitchen cabinets. If the wood is oak, the grain will show through the spray paint, since oak is not a close-grained wood. If this is not objectionable to you, don't worry about it. if it is, then you should smooth it out with a thin coat of wood filler.Also, if there are any dents in the wood, fill them with a good filler; I used Bondo (yes, the auto body filler) for this step. It is very strong and does an excellent job. If you decide to use Bondo, just don't use a lot of the hardner (Bondo is a 2-part product that you mix) which will give you more working time. Spraying is a good technique, but you, or your contractor, will have to curtain off the kitchen and mask the appliances when spraying, since fine paint particles will go everywhere. I hand painted mine with oil-based paint, since it is more durable and is smoother when dried. It also has a strong odor when applying, which will take a while to dissipate from your home. There also are some very good water-based paints that will do the job, which have practically no odor and are easier to clean up if you splatter some during the process. Ask your paint supplier about these. In any case, be sure and clean the cabinets good before painting. I scrubbed mine with Simple Green, then sanded the surfaces with 180 grit paper for better bonding. Mine turned out very well, and I'm sure yours will also. Good luck.

Old 01-28-03, 04:45 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Yep spray them suckers!Id use oil.
I have taken off the door a draw fronts and sprayed them in a shed and brushed the rest which is a small amount.Before!Cut and Roll the inside.