Painting concrete

Old 01-22-03, 05:47 PM
zoolinda
Visiting Guest
Painting concrete

For 30+ years I've been scrubbing carpets trying to remove cat urine stains, and in the past two years, puppy stains. I've had it, I won't do it any more. I have Pergo floors in most of my house, but two of my guest bedrooms have carpet. I'm going to rip up my carpet in those rooms, and because my budget will not accomodate what I eventually want, I want to paint the concrete floors. Does anybody have any advice? I'm not very strong, and although I have a husband, he's not very helpful in projects. If anybody has done this, and can tell me what to expect, I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 07:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The concrete was likely sealed when the house was built. Once the carpet is up and the holes in the concrete from the tack strip are filled. Clean the floor with TSP, and prime and paint with paint suitable for floors. Most paints are not suited for floor application. There is a latex product for garage floors, which is supposed to fill small irregularities and improve the appearance of the floor. I guess because it is thick. That might be worth looking into.

http://doityourself.com/painttools/p...sandfloors.htm

this is a link to an article in this forum on painting concrete floors. It has more and better information that the preceding.

Old 01-22-03, 08:00 PM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Let me cation you on how cold concrete floors are.Very Cold
Carpet is a very good insalater.
I would sugest a profesanal cleaning and see how it comes out.Ive always been impressed by how good a steam cleaner will do.I was once told the water is heated to 280 degrees so i guess thats why.But anyway if you havent had it cleaned profesnaly i would try this first.
Hope it helps.

Old 01-22-03, 09:48 PM
zoolinda
Visiting Guest
painting concrete

Wow! what a wonderful site. Thank you for your reply, chfite. The link was really helpful. However, I don't think the floors were sealed initially. We're not talking about basements. I'm willing to acid wash the floor, if necessary. However, are foundations normally sealed before carpet is installed on a house built in 1998? The people at Home Depot told me that if the floor was slick, I would need to acid wash it, but if it was like fine sandpaper, I could just paint over it. Do you agree with that? And insainity, believe me I have a close relationship with Stanley Steemer. At least every three months they are in my home. The problem is, once a dog has had an accident somewhere, the smell remains, no matter how thorough the cleaning has been. Therefore, when Hadley (my collie) accidentally wanders into the guest bedroom, he smells that spot and thinks, Oh! I need to mark this spot! And he does. Also, I live in Mississippi. Cold floors are usually a blessing, not a curse. Besides I don't want to make my guests too comfortable - they might stay too long.

Old 01-23-03, 07:19 AM
C
I don't know how to tell. I always heard that the concrete was sealed inside a house to prevent dust.

Maybe you can go to Bricks, Masonry, & Concrete Forum and find out how to tell about sealed concrete.

Old 01-23-03, 09:04 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
All concrete that ive seen with a sealer looks wet.But if the finish is slick enough it might also look wet.But sealed concrete will repell water as in if you pour a drop on the floor it will bead up.If its not sealed you will see it turn color as it absorbs some of the water.So when wiped up you can probley tell if it has been sealed.I dought if it was sealed.You will probley find that your carpet is glued down.If so when you tear it up there will be foam pading left behind from the backing of the carpet.To remove this they sell razor scrapers in the flooring section of hardware stores.As said if it has a tack strip to hold it you will have to pacth the nail hole left behind.Ask you local hard ware store what they have to pacth it with.You should be looking for a white powder that you mix with latex or water.(Damtight brand works good) it is very sandable and easy to work with,its just a floor pacth mix like for when instaling vinly.Not masanary pacth mix you want be able to sand it and it is gritty and will show threw the paint.This also comes in Damtight brand but it is gray in color.

As chfite said they make some good quality paints for concrete now days.I would recomend checking with you local paint store they will have something specially desighned for concrete floors.If its been sealed it would need a good primer to bond properlly.
I wouldnt think acid washing would be necesary.But you might check with your paint store to make sure.
I have painted floors before and they do show scruffs bad so make sure you keep some touch up paint for later touch ups.

Good luck!
I hear you on the pet stains.I have a boston terior.

Last edited by insainity; 01-23-03 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-22-03, 05:22 PM
kacy
Visiting Guest
Pet Odor/Stain Remover

Hi,

A few years ago we experienced the same problem when our Boston Terrier "re-marked" her spots on the carpet. Our Vet provided us with some good tips. It's been a while and our beloved pet is no longer alive. However, I would encourage you to contact your vet...they may have some helpful information for you .

I do remember using a very good product to remove the odor and stains. It was called Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Remover and did a wonderful job.

I hope this helps!

Old 11-24-03, 04:47 AM
B
odor may be in concrete by now

Just a word of caution here. If a pet has used one spot consistantly, the odor may be in the concrete. Concrete is porous. If it was sealed, this may not be a problem.

If you find the odor has permeated the concrete, do what you can to eliminate that first. The vet or pet shop may have something to help remove the odor.