Painting Basebord/carpet problem

Old 01-27-03, 10:40 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Basebord/carpet problem

I made a VERY rookie mistake so please don't laugh at me . We just got carpet in stalled in a hallway. It is a light colored berber. The problem is we want to paint all of the moulding and doors a different color to breath some life into the "white everything look". The problem as I am sure you already figured out is, how do I paint the baseboard moulding with the carpet aleady down? i know i should have done it before but obviously that is no longer and option. Removing the basbaords if also not an option that I want to deal with. Is there any techniqhes which will allow me to get a brush down far enough between carpet and moulding? And if there is how the heck will the paint dry without it touching the carpet? Thank you in advance for any advice that you can offer.

Old 01-27-03, 01:48 PM
annie0
Visiting Guest
Evan, "you can't see it at 40 miles an hour."
There is no trick to this that I am aware of (painting on 12 yrs now) other than protecting the floor area with a tarp, cardboard, or plastic.
You could put a strip of tape at the base of the trim to further protect the floor.
If you use a scraper or blade type of tool to pull the carpet away in order to paint, yes, the carpet could dry to the trim.
Just cut in as close as you can and good luck.

Old 01-27-03, 03:01 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Fine Homebuilding, March 2003, #153, Tips & Techniques, p23 has a detailed explanatiion of how to tape back carpet for baseboard painting.

Old 01-27-03, 10:01 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Personally, I would go with brickeyee's solution here, however there is this pastic shield for carpets available at www.improvementscatalog.com

Old 01-28-03, 05:06 AM
insainity
Visiting Guest
Ive always used a piece of metal sideing for a shield.Cut it about 4 inches high and 2 ft long.Stick it in between and pry the carpet away slighty and brush, and remove and the very small amount of carpet that sticks and drys want be noticed or seen.
Good luck.Anything thin will work.

Old 01-28-03, 08:42 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I actually use pieces of old venetian blinds. Cut them at the cord holes to eliminate the holes. Wedge them part way under the trim and overlap them about 1-2 inches. I have a lot of them, so I can leave them in place until the paint is dry to the touch. When working on stairs carpeted to the carriages I do use the tape method from Fine Homebuilding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: