calcium on basement wall?

Old 01-28-03, 11:10 AM
cstew32
Visiting Guest
calcium on basement wall?

I am going to apply dryloc to my walls before starting the "finished basement" project, but there appears to be a white powder on the suface mainly just in one corner. Is this possibly calcium and how do I go about removing it and is there any way to keep it from coming back? And yes I am rookie at this! Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 01-28-03, 08:01 PM
annie0
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure what the powdery substance would be, but clean it off the area.
Is the area wet? Do you have a leak?
Vacuum, or dust it off before you drylock. The drylock should do the trick.
Good luck ~

Old 01-28-03, 08:28 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
That stuff is efflorescence, a by-product of salt and calcium deposits seaping through a crack or construction joint caused by a slow leak. You have to address the exterior drainage causing this problem otherwise, the drylock is an expensive paint.

Old 01-29-03, 09:17 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep, drylock won't stop efflorescence

The drylock won't last a year where you have efflorescence. You need to correct the moisture problem from the outside.

I'm curious as to why you want to seal the foundation in the first place.

If you have moisture issues, the sealer is temporary at best. What will you do in a few years when you need to recoat?

If the basement is dry (excluding the efflorescence), then you don't need to seal the walls. Its a waste of time and money to seal the walls as a precaution.

Old 01-29-03, 08:22 PM
cstew32
Visiting Guest
It seems that there is a space where the concrete patio meets the house in the area where the powder shows up. There does appear to be a gap there, but I have been putting that liquid concrete in there to fill the gap. If I were to finish my basement with drywall will this area present a problem down the road? The obvious answer is yes, but what are my options?

Old 01-29-03, 08:53 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You have to address to issue from the source, outside. A DIY patch will wash out from steady water seapage. Ignore this, and you will develop a mold farm in your finished basement.

Does the grading lead away from the house?
Are there proper gutters leading away from the house?
What kind of material (sand? clay?) is around the foundation?
Have any of your neighbors had to correct similar problems?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: